V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BMF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my '96 Sportster. When the bike is in motion (clutch engaged or not) I hear a metallic chattering sound from the primary. I know the usual problem is chain adjustment. I've adjusted it within the specs of the service manual and also tried a little tighter and a little looser. Still makes the noise. I've also replaced the adjuster shoe. Still makes the noise. The clutch seems to be adjusted correctly and the bike runs fine aside from the noise. Any help would be appreciated, I'd hate to have to take it to the dealer! :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Did you by chance check to see if the primary sprocket was still tight at the crank? Sometimes the nut will back off. Or check to see if the chain is stretched beyond its limit.

·
BMF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't checked the primary sprocket nut, I will try that.

What would be an indication that the chain is stretched too much. I thought as long as you can get it tight with the adjuster the chain was ok.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If you are on the throttle o lot the chain will stretch. Check for a rounded condition on the topof the teeth on the sprocket. Look in the service manual for wear limits etc. If you dont have a manual, I would get one. They are well worth the cash for maint. issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a thought, but you may want to look around the chain and adjacent parts (adjusted, etc) to see if you have some side to side play which is allowing the chain to contact another part that it shouldn't. Look at the chain, etc. for any shiny or warn parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts