V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do a 5K service on my 01 Deuce, and I was wondering if any of the primary chain tensioner's on the market, were worth installing? If so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

KIM

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I agree, no need to change it. Just keep it adjusted and check the shoe every now and then. The shoe (plastic piece under chain) has been known to break up under abuse (I've replaced mine once in 45,000 miles) and is only about 6 bucks.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nt Train & Thealien for the information, the ads I've seen on the Hayden M6 make it sound as if all bikes should have this tensioner, however I'll save my $69.00 for something else.

Thanks again.

Take care and ride safe,

KIM

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have the M6 on both my bikes and I am very happy with the results. Better shifting, quieter, and I don't have to adjust the chain for a long, long time.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The only limit to the other types of tensioner ( spring/ and oil filled) are the limit on HP. I think I have read the 100 HP/ TQ is the limit. We had one that would flatten on hard throttle on a 95 inch with SE heads and 257 cams. Smoked the inner/ outer case's as well as the primary drive unit. Comp sprocket/ chain and basket. Stock one works fine kepp it adjusted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts