V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my '06 Ultra a couple of weeks ago. At 410 miles, thought I should check the primary chain tension because on the prior five HD's I've owned, the chains needed adjustment at about that time due to the normal initial wear-in.

The chain was tight as a banjo string. Almost no slack at all. I set it per the service manual and called the dealer to find out why they did not set it per the manual.

I was told that HD wants the chains tight until the 1000 service to "avoid customer come-backs due to chain noise," and "this does not hurt a thing."

Yea, right. This '06 Ultra adjuster shoe has more wear (deeper grooves) after 410 miles than my '00 FLHT has after 37,000 miles.

Anyone know if this is a fact? Does HD really want the chains run tight for the first 1000 miles, or is my dealer just blowing smoke?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
According to the service manual on my wifes 05 Sportster Custom the dealer is right. It said that the chain is adjusted on the tight end of the spec 1/4" in my case but to adjust it according to the table listed in the manual after the 1000k service.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Snobal said:
I just picked up my '06 Ultra a couple of weeks ago. At 410 miles, thought I should check the primary chain tension because on the prior five HD's I've owned, the chains needed adjustment at about that time due to the normal initial wear-in.

The chain was tight as a banjo string. Almost no slack at all. I set it per the service manual and called the dealer to find out why they did not set it per the manual.

I was told that HD wants the chains tight until the 1000 service to "avoid customer come-backs due to chain noise," and "this does not hurt a thing."

Yea, right. This '06 Ultra adjuster shoe has more wear (deeper grooves) after 410 miles than my '00 FLHT has after 37,000 miles.

Anyone know if this is a fact? Does HD really want the chains run tight for the first 1000 miles, or is my dealer just blowing smoke?
Starting in 06..the primary chain tension check was removed from the pre-delivery inspection per MOCO instruction as they claim they are all set at the factory....By some guy who's pissed at his wife or mad at the bank and cant afford to buy what he's assemblying...set it yourself ..properly ...now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SYCLONE said:
Starting in 06..the primary chain tension check was removed from the pre-delivery inspection per MOCO instruction as they claim they are all set at the factory....By some guy who's pissed at his wife or mad at the bank and cant afford to buy what he's assemblying...set it yourself ..properly ...now.

Syclone,

Thanks! I did set it per the service manual when I found it grossly tight at 410 miles.

I posted this so that other folks would know they may have to check this because my dealer did not.

Thanks for your input. At least I know my dealer was not BS'ing me. Just wish I had known this when I picked up the bike. I could have set the tension correctly in the dealer's parking lot if I had only known.

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Chain Tension '06 1200

My '06 XL 1200C needed serious chain adj. at about 300 miles.

I did an oil change engine and chain case, and got like a lb. of metal filings off the magnet. The chain was very loose; tweaked per book (although I didn't have it on a lift, in 5th gear and set it at the tightest point while rotating rear wheel, or so I've heard) but, it's much better now.
I would say on this bike, it was definitely not on the tight side to start with.
ALso, several clutch cable adjustments, and steering head bolt seemed very loose. And throttle cable too. A nicely set throttle cable adjustment along with primary chain gets rid of almost all lunging tendancies.
Overall, the 1,000 first service seems rediculous. This stuff really stretches and changes when it's new.
But, this stuff is all easy, and really like the bike.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Primary chain gauge

BIGCC said:
I picked up one of these tension gauges. It works good and is cheap.

http://www.liot.ca/Primary_Gauge.htm
@gree: I just got one of those in the mail yesterday for $15.00 US., delivered. Heavy duty, good quality, (except the increments aren't etched in, it's just a sticker). It enables you to check the tension of the primary without having to stick your fingers into the case. (Unless it needs to be adjusted). :clap: HarleyHog has a link to them on his site , which BTW is a real informative site.?prty:
Next best thang to an auto-tensioner..........sez who? sez me......

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
primary chain

I put an M-6 chain tensioner in my 05 twin cam and switched over to AMSOIL 20-50 in the primary and 75-90 in the trans. She shifts somewhat easier and there is a difference in the noise level.The bike only has a little over 800 miles on it....nonetheless I thought it was a good idea to go with the tensioner to keep the right amount of tension on 'er all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dynamike03 said:
I stuck one of the new autotensioners in my 2003 DFXWDG. It was easy to install and no adjustment now needed
I installed an HD auto tensioner on my 2004 FXDXI and it makes some noise. Does yours?

Also heard a rumor on another board that the new 06 Dynas have a 15,000 mile inner bearing replacemnet needed due to this new auto tensioner. It's a free service by HD. I wonder what that means to those that replaced the stock one on older bikes. Anyone else hear this?

·
Speed
105 Posts
gpcj7 said:
I installed an HD auto tensioner on my 2004 FXDXI and it makes some noise. Does yours?

Also heard a rumor on another board that the new 06 Dynas have a 15,000 mile inner bearing replacemnet needed due to this new auto tensioner. It's a free service by HD. I wonder what that means to those that replaced the stock one on older bikes. Anyone else hear this?
I didn't think the bearing replacement was because of the auto tensioner. However, if it is, I guess I won't be installing the auto tensioner I bought!

KL

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
gpcj7 said:

I tried one in my CVO E-glide. Same as you..noisy as hell. Pulled it back apart when it cooled off and added some slack (To 1 1/8 inch instead of 1 inch) per the instructions before removing the retaining tab. Same "whine" noise. Pulled it apart hot and there was like no slack at all in the chain. I took it out and sold it. I'll just do the old fashioned adjustment checks. I wanted to see if it would make any noticable shifting "feel" difference..wasnt concerned about the "auto tension ".."no need to check the chain tension" benefit. It shifted the same as a properly adjusted primary. Live and learn.
The 15,000 mile bearing service is due to the fact that the sprocket for the chain on the clutch basket is moved outboard of the basket to match the comp. sprocket which was moved outboard cause of it's size, due to the new primary gearing in the Dynas. I guess with the loads being applied outboard farther,,,,there is some concern about the trans and clutch hub bearings.
I really wonder what the added outboard loading is gonna do to the rumored "suspect" left side pinion roller bearing.

·
Speed
105 Posts
SYCLONE said:
I tried one in my CVO E-glide. Same as you..noisy as hell. Pulled it back apart when it cooled off and added some slack (To 1 1/8 inch instead of 1 inch) per the instructions before removing the retaining tab. Same "whine" noise. Pulled it apart hot and there was like no slack at all in the chain. I took it out and sold it. I'll just do the old fashioned adjustment checks. I wanted to see if it would make any noticable shifting "feel" difference..wasnt concerned about the "auto tension ".."no need to check the chain tension" benefit. It shifted the same as a properly adjusted primary. Live and learn.
The 15,000 mile bearing service is due to the fact that the sprocket for the chain on the clutch basket is moved outboard of the basket to match the comp. sprocket which was moved outboard cause of it's size, due to the new primary gearing in the Dynas. I guess with the loads being applied outboard farther,,,,there is some concern about the trans and clutch hub bearings.
I really wonder what the added outboard loading is gonna do to the rumored "suspect" left side pinion roller bearing.
Thanks for the feedback Syclone! I wish I would have read this prior to buying the thing.

Thx

·
Registered
83 Posts
KLars1 said:
Thanks for the feedback Syclone! I wish I would have read this prior to buying the thing.

Thx

I am pleased with mine, no noise, shifts easy, and no adjustment. This just goes to show you each H-D has it's own mind.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I think the noise problem my have to do with what kind of bike its going in.
The center to center distance of the sprocket and clutch hub is shorter on a bagger than say a soft tail. This puts the larger/longer pad of the tensioner very close to the bottom of the front sprocket and the chain starts to ride on it almost as soon as its off the front gear.
From what I have observed so far...guys who have installed them in Dynas or Soft tails have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took mine apart three times and on the final time I lowered it as far as it could go and still function properly. It still whines a bit but not like the whine when you put it on according to specs. Mine does shift better and I like it for that matter. I'll give it some time as I believe the Hayden auto tensioners make some noise too when they are first installed.

Thanks for the info on the inner bearing. Chicago HD said generally the same thing; new bearing design and not due to the auto tensioner.

Merry Christmas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts