V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've got an '03 Road King with the 95CI kit, that was a police bike before I got it. Runs great, as far as I can tell.
But a couple weeks ago, I installed the Harley self-adjusting primary chain tensioner, and the clutch spring that came w/ the big bore kit, since it was time for a primary oil change. Even though I was suspicious because the replacement primary case gasket was much thinner than the one that came off, it went back together okay. But I think I did put too much chain case oil (Mobil-1, 20w50) in it when I refilled it. I put a full quart in it, and still thought it was low, since I couldn't see it touch the clutch basket), but after riding it about 30 miles & noticing the pretty load "whirring" sound, I drained it and refilled with the less than 1 quart that the service manual calls out.
The problem is that it has a really noticable "whir" sound to it since then, and I don't believe it was there before. I'm sure it's coming from the primary chain case. But it seems to be running fine.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
The automatic tensioner holds the chain to a tighter spec. Being tighter could be the cause of your sound. Did you listen to any other motorcycles with the auto. tensioner?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks baggersport. I don't know anyone else that has installed the self-adjuster. I thought that maybe putting a little too much primary oil may have been making the Whirring sound. But it continued after I drained it & refilled it w/ the "approximatly 26 oz." called out.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
mark fisher said:
Thanks baggersport. I don't know anyone else that has installed the self-adjuster. I thought that maybe putting a little too much primary oil may have been making the Whirring sound. But it continued after I drained it & refilled it w/ the "approximatly 26 oz." called out.
I have a 2005 Road King and my shop manual says 32 oz in the primary, 20 to 24 oz in transmission, and 4 quarts in the engine. The oil if anything would take away sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the 26 oz from my Haynes manual. Could be wrong? I did have a full quart, or maybe a couple ozs. more before I could see it coming up to the clutch basket

Sounds like you've got a great wife!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
First off you need to have a HD manual , follow that, and the sound is coming from the auto tensioner, it is a bit on the tight side . 32 oz is the spec listed, If you are not removing the outer I use 28-29 oz and there is always some left in the case that you cannot get out. I then also check the level of oil verse's the basket to make sure it is at the proper level.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have the auto tensioner, and it can make a whirring or whining sound. It does hold the chain tighter, so far I've seen no adverse effects from it, I have over 1000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help. I'll add a little more oil to my primary & get used to the whining. At least it drowns out some of noise coming from my valve train. I haven't been too impressed w/ the Haynes manual since using it while installing my big bore kit, & finding that it was missing a couple of torque values.
HDWRENCH- after reading so much of your good advice to others so long, I'll take your advice & get the real manual.
Now if I can get rid of that valve train noise that I thought the Zippers oil spring shim would help...
Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sure is tough to see down inside the derby cover to see when the oil is up to the clutch plates. Someone ought to design a small, thin dipstick that can be slid into the derby cover and hang on the rim opening. The clutch pretty much fills the whole opening, makes it hard to get a view.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
geezer i know im not that far from you about a 1-2hr sprint. its been freezing outside when do you ride the bike?
I ride every day that there's no ice on the road. Unfortunately, today is one of those days. I'm a "year 'rounder." Of course the fairing and windshield help a lot. And on the way home on Wednesday I got caught in that snow storm we got here!! Now THAT was fun.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
mark fisher said:
Sounds like you've got a great wife!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: ah yep

1 - 11 of 11 Posts