V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Hydraulic chain tensioner

Unome : I installed one of those hydraulic chain tensioners about 4200 miles ago and it appears it is working as promised. You set the unit 1/8" off the bottom of the inner primary cover, then use the included shims to adjust the tensioner shoe if necessary to get chain adjustment within spec. That's it. I only mention the shims to illustrate that while this unit does reduce manual adjustment intervals , it will not replace regular inspection by yours truly .
On yea... Hippo was tellin ya straight, as usual. There are 2 of those screws attaching that serrated piece on, upper and lower . IMHO I would redo the lower one as well. If the upper one was loose, there is a good chance the lower one has loosened as well.

Hippo : Question for you...I had these same screws come loose on my scooter a few months back. I looked everywhere I could think of in my HD repair manual. Nowhere could I find the torque value for these screws. Could you shed any light on this subject?

twincamzz

· Registered
1,456 Posts
HIPPO , not to get you started, but what are the disadvantages to having one of the hydraulic chain tensioners ? I have been a Millwright for 21+ years and to me it seems that the slop that is created on the bottom side of the chain under acceleration would be better controlled by the hydraulic unit. I realize that my experience in this area is limited to conveyors,machinery etc. I would like to hear your reasoning on this subject.
twincamzz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.