V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
304 Posts
Primary chain adjusters-aftermarket

I installed the M6 chain adjuster on my RK a month ago and will be installing it on the Ultra soon.

What about the hydraulic chain tensioner? Is it as good and worry free as the as the M6?

· Premium Member
304 Posts
M6 install

2001 and up M6 tensioners for Big Twins require you to remove the two phillips screws everyone has been talking about to install a longer bolt.
You will need a new gasket cause you have to take the primary cover off.
You have to take the primary cover off for the 2000 and older also.
The phillips screws are big and I used hammer and an impact tool with a #4 phillips bit to remove the screws. I used the impact tool to tighten them up with along with some locktite.

The included instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Wally's Cycle has the M6 for about $50.00

· Premium Member
304 Posts
Hydraulic chain tensioner

Where does the hydraulic action come from? The primary chain fluid is not under any pressure is it? I thought it was strictly a "bath" type reservoir for the chain and clutch.

· Premium Member
304 Posts
Primary Chain tensioner M6

To install the M6 you have to remove the whole primary cover. There is just no way you can do the work through the inspection cover. On my bikes I also had to remove the driver and passenger floorboards on that side to get the primary cover off.

The primary cover MIGHT come off without removing the floorboards but it is a tight squeeze and you are going to scratch or damage something if you don't remove them first.

So in addition to the M6 you will need a new primary cover gasket and don't forget the primary fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.