V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Just Like to Ride
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I got the Primary Chain Inspection Cover off, checked the play of chain and it looks okay. Couple of questions:

1. They have note in the service manual - As chains stretch and wear, they run tighter at one spot than another. Always adjust the free play at the tighest spot in the chain. How do I determine the tighest spot?

2. To adjust the chain, the manual mentions loosening the top center nut a maximum of 2 turns, adjusting and tightening this nut back up. Now I can handle that. But can someone tell me what the Phillips head screw about 1 inch above the top center nut is? It is shown in manual but NO MENTION OR DESCRIPTION OF THIS SCREW ANYWHERE in the service manual. I just touched it with my finger and it's loose.

· Just Like to Ride
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, xrystl. My plans are to eventually get one of the M-6. Probably order from J&P. Aren't you same guy who goes there on their tech talk forum?

Still anyone know what that Phillips head screw just above the top center nut is?

· Just Like to Ride
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx, Hippo. I tightened that screw up yesterday and will be pulling the primary cover off in next couple of weeks to install a hydraulic chain tensioner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.