V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Harley, a 97 FLHTCUI. Has 54K, but runs and looks pretty good. Guy told me the primary cover seal was going, and it leaked a little on the stand. After replacing it, and one of the oil cooler lines I thought was bad, it seems I can still see it pooling up slowly down at the bottom of the seal of where the primary case bolts on to the motor. I tightened the two exposed bolts, and am draining the case to pull the cover, and tighten the nonexposed bolts if I can get at them in the longshot this fixes the leak. If it doesn't, what is involved at pulling that seal?? I ordered a service manual, but it's not here yet. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm in a bit of a hurry so here's some quick reading. I'm actually in the middle of an inner primary removal right now and just came inside to warm up. It's really quite an easy job, I think, even with limited tools, and it's my first time.

Hopefully the interior bolt just need retorque. If not-
Inner primary gasket removal

Here are also a couple posts that were helpful to me-
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69768
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums//showthread.php?s=&threadid=7520

You could also use the advanced search here with "inner AND primary" in titles only. The capital "AND" picks only tipics with both words(inner, primary) in the topic titles.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to put toghether the info for me. I am blessed with a heated garage so I will order up the seals and probably take a shot.....
thanks again, Tony

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can still see it pooling up slowly down at the bottom of the seal of where the primary case bolts on to the motor.
From what you've described, this sounds like the area causing the leak.
Your new service manual should explain proper sealing. Others here might add tips. I'm just riding this post because I'll be reassembling in the near future also.

Engine/tranny side view of an inner primary-

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I figured the same as ka-ka. If so, the only seal there is a thin o-ring. Pay particular attention to the lips of the inner primary and on the engine case. I'd also recommend a very thin coating of Hylomar on the o-ring during installation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've also seen the inner primary replaced and it still leaked. All I did to stop when they brought it to me was pull the drain plug, add white lithium tape, install drain plug and leak was fixed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Make sure your alternator to regulator plug is not the source of the leak, Mine leaks a little and runs down into that area.

Marc M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts