V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would sure be nice if people would show at least an asking price for the things they post for sale.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it's frustrating to see something you (or friend who's looking, etc) would be interested in buying only to find no price is listed.

The way I see it, both seller and buyer save a lot of time if the buyer knows the price range right up front.

Otherwise, we both waste time when I call to find out a you want 12k for a seat Pamela Anderson sat on one time.....

my2cents

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
when someone doesn't show the price that just shows their asking too much. call for price in newspaper, PM me here in classifieds.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
brownjams said:
when someone doesn't show the price that just shows their asking too much.
I disagree.

In my case, I really have no idea what seat that I'm trying to sell is worth. I know what it cost new, but it is not new.

I don't know what other bikes it will fit on, as the part number sticker is missing.

It is worth nothing to me. I didn't like the way it looked on my bike. So it sits in the basement gathering dust.

That is why I didn't put a price on it. Oh, and as far as I know, no skank has sat on it. So I guess that makes it worth more!:huh:

·
Registered
645 Posts
In that case, i would include "OBO" (or best offer) or "Make me an offer". Some of the adds I see here are basicly:
Code:
(no pics) 
Wheel for sale. email me for pics and price.
[email protected]
I hate the fact that i wasted a second to check out that post. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
417 Posts
FlamedFXSTC said:
In my case, I really have no idea what seat that I'm trying to sell is worth.
Are you saying if a person offers you a penny, you would take it? I don't think so, certainly you do have an idea what you would be willing to accept.
I believe it is customary for the seller to always speak first when it comes to price. I skip over adds which don't mention the price because I don't need the hassle of asking such a basic question.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
no price

it chaps me, i figure they are ashamed of how much they want, or they figure someone unsuspecting will jump in there and offer. if no price, i go on to the next listing. here, and at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Most other forums I belong to have it spelled out in the rules that you must post a price when selling something in the classified forum. I am in support of doing the same thing on VTF. It discourages bargaining, and saves time.

Something else to consider might be only allowing paid members to buy and sell in the classified areas.

The current rule doesn't really discourage scammers and dead-beat buyers, at least not the ones smart enough to post a fake intro first, and then place their 2nd post in the classified area. For as little as a 1 year membership costs, you certainly wouldn't miss that after the first time you sold something Harley related on this board. Hell, a pair of valve stem caps from Harley probably costs more than $15.

BTW, this probably belongs in the Forum Request Area, seeing as how, you aren't offering to buy, sell, or trade anything.

Rant off, goodbye.
-zogorion

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
So let me ask you this....

If you want to buy a part here, should you also say up front how much you will pay for it?

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I understand both sides of the issue here. I can see why some would want a listed price. I have a few items listed here myself. I did not list a price.
1) Because I do not know what they are worth. What's it worth to you?? Listing a price in this case has already proven itself that an abstract number has scared at least two people away. Maybe they were looking for a bargain. What is worthe $100.00 to me may be worth $50 to the next guy, or perhaps $200 to the next.
2) I consider the members on this board friends, not just people I want to sell something to. If I have something somebody needs and I don't, I am happy to offer it off for a reasonable offer. Its not like I am trying to sell a bike or something with a definitive value. If I wanted top dollar, I wouldn't even offer it here. I would go straight to eBay. If you like what I have to sell, offer what you think it is worth...what you are willing to pay. If I don't like the offer, I'll say no. Simple.
I have faith in my friends, that they will not screw me. Example: If someone offers me 20 bucks for an item that should get 100, well then, thats not reasonable, and that someone is trying to take advantage of me. 75 MAY be reasonable, and to a friend, that would probably be a sale. Hell, if he needed it bad enough, I would probably just give it to him. What goes around, comes around.

So, don't expect EVERYTHING listed to have a price. Circimstances will dictate whether there is a price or not. If you don't like that, then move on to something else. But don't flame me for not pricing what I list.
If you don't like whats on TV, turn the channel.

I'm done ranting...for now.

YB

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
1. No I don't think you should have to post a price you're willing to pay if posting a WTB add, it would probably help, but shouldn't be mandatory.

2. I beleive that everyone has an idea of what they would be willing to accept for a particular item. This isn't an online-auction. If you don't care about getting any money for an item, include in your post that it's free. I did with my old radio, and had so many responses, hindsight dictated I probably should've asked for some money for it, but I didn't do it to make money, I didn't need it, and I'm sure somebody else did, so as long as they pay the shipping, I am happy. If you want money in return for something, you are going to have an idea of how much, or little you'll be willing to accept.

If you post a brand new crate motor for sale with no asking price, expect to get offers of $125. And expect not to sell to anyone who doesn't want to waste time jacking-jaw over old parts you took off your scoot.

If you don't want to spend your time to figure out how much you think an item is worth, don't expect me to spend my time making an offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts