V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants to buy a 2006 r.k. police, black, with fuel injection. Just wondering what a good price or a fair price for them is in the States, as we live in Canada. He is willing to import it, and was told by one guy $16,900 american, plus GST and a $200.00 customs tax. Anyone else done this? Just wondering prices and whats involved in having one brought over into Canada. Thanks.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
My brother wants to buy a 2006 r.k. police, black, with fuel injection. Just wondering what a good price or a fair price for them is in the States, as we live in Canada. He is willing to import it, and was told by one guy $16,900 american, plus GST and a $200.00 customs tax. Anyone else done this? Just wondering prices and whats involved in having one brought over into Canada. Thanks.
Generally, he can't buy a new one unless he is a government agency (not individual officer) or a Shriner. Occasionally, a dealership will have a police bike that wasn't taken by the Shriner who ordered it and can sell it to an individual.

T113

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
Excellent, thanks! That must be the case then...is 16900 the average price then do you know?
I looked into buying a FLHPI (as a Shriner) a couple of times. The price was very good, but I don't remember the numbers.

T113

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
Ok, thanks. Is there a website with prices, as HD doesnt list them I don't think.
Not to my knowledge. I think these are priced through dealers only.

T113

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I saw one yesterday for sale on the showroom floor at San Diego Harley... seems like it was just under $16k. Thought it was kind of low. Didn't notice if it was EFI.

·
Registered
838 Posts
trooper113 said:
Generally, he can't buy a new one unless he is a government agency (not individual officer) or a Shriner. Occasionally, a dealership will have a police bike that wasn't taken by the Shriner who ordered it and can sell it to an individual.

T113
Are you referring to the Police Officer's Special Edition motorcycles or a fleet version motorcycle? The Police Officer's Special Edition bikes are available through the HD dealerships for purchase by any individual current or retired Law Enforcement Officer. I know of several Police Officers (and Fire Fighters that have purchased the red fire editions) that have purchased them on an individual basis, just need an official I.D. and fill out a verification form. They have special discount pricing on those.

As far as purchasing a government fleet bike (like the ones with the siren control switches on the handle bars), I have only seen those available used when the agency returns them to the dealer usually after a year. Not sure which type of bike you are referring to....Police Special Edition, or Government Fleet type purchase.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply. What's the difference? I know he's been looking at the bikes that are returned after a year or two from being used by cops. But what exactly is the POSE? Does it have badges and gawdy stuff all over it, because if it does, I know he wouldn't be interested...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Retrax said:
Are you referring to the Police Officer's Special Edition motorcycles or a fleet version motorcycle? The Police Officer's Special Edition bikes are available through the HD dealerships for purchase by any individual current or retired Law Enforcement Officer. I know of several Police Officers (and Fire Fighters that have purchased the red fire editions) that have purchased them on an individual basis, just need an official I.D. and fill out a verification form. They have special discount pricing on those.

As far as purchasing a government fleet bike (like the ones with the siren control switches on the handle bars), I have only seen those available used when the agency returns them to the dealer usually after a year. Not sure which type of bike you are referring to....Police Special Edition, or Government Fleet type purchase.

Based on his wording, I just assumed he was asking about a fleet type bike (FLHPI) rather than a POSE. Your information is correct on the POSE bikes. Fleet police bikes are available to individual Shriners, but not individual officers or other folks. Fleet bikes used to be available to individual officers, but I was told the MOCO stopped those sales after it learned of a number of officers buying the bikes specifically to immediately resell them at a profit.

DRIMNER1....you can find the POSE (Peace Officer Special Edition) bikes at the H-D site http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/POLI/2006/en/06_police_landing.asp?section=police&locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US&HDCWPSession=DnPWNBTM8VJpQf2rJysDYygg4hDWGJzn9DKv8CkLy2n2MPPQhQTG!-2074513127!-1336929549

T113

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for that link, I've passed it on. That reminds me of a joke I just heard about a barber who has 3 different professions come in for a haircut, and the barber says to the first 2 no no its free, and each of them returns the favour with something kind the following day. then the cop comes in, gets a free haircut, barber says its free. whats the cop do? shows up the next morning with 12 other cops for a free haircut...its funny because its true, and don't take any offence,(not like you would) because policing runs in our family...I've seen it all too many times...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
Thanks for that link, I've passed it on. That reminds me of a joke I just heard about a barber who has 3 different professions come in for a haircut, and the barber says to the first 2 no no its free, and each of them returns the favour with something kind the following day. then the cop comes in, gets a free haircut, barber says its free. whats the cop do? shows up the next morning with 12 other cops for a free haircut...its funny because its true, and don't take any offence,(not like you would) because policing runs in our family...I've seen it all too many times...
You're right. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen.

T113

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, all good things are ruined...or what I hate are guys that get a discount, but then NEVER tip....it just bugs me!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
Yep, all good things are ruined...or what I hate are guys that get a discount, but then NEVER tip....it just bugs me!
I agree with you.......it's an entitlement mentality. Many restaurants gave us discounts, but everyone I worked with tipped to at least bring the meal to regular price.....most often more. I found meal discounts embarrassing.

T113

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
:ymca: I paid $14,900 for my 03 FLHPI in March 2004 from Ft. Lauderdale Harley Davidson. $500 for shipping to my driveway with a full tank of gas and temp lisence plate and 3 T-shirts!!! ?prty:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased a brand new 2005 FLHPI (4 miles on the odometer) in August of 05 in Albany, NY. This bike has Anti-lock brakes. I paid $15,995.00 for it (american dollars)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts