V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what kind of deals y'all are getting on new bikes. My first in '94 was pay retail or we'll just sell it to the next guy on the list. That was the story with my first few bikes. Last purchase '05 Electra Glide the sales guy was a personal friend.

Been out of the loop as far as dealer relationships go. About to drop the hammer on a '19 Street Glide Special in black. $27,089 MSRP.

What kind of deal should I expect?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Cash trade finance?

Sent from a handheld item of convenience

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I would think once the 2020's hit showroom floor, there be more haggling for the 2019's

But from what I see, people still buy'em up fast, at least where I'm at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cash. I was going to wait for the 2020s to hit the floor to see if there are any significant updates or colors I can't live without. However, I recently lost my mother and am in a serious funk and could use the riding therapy sooner rather than later so I decided to jump on one now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cash. I was going to wait for the 2020s to hit the floor to see if there are any significant updates or colors I can't live without. However, I recently lost my mother and am in a serious funk and could use the riding therapy sooner rather than later so I decided to jump on one now.
Losing a parent is super hard, my condolences. The hurt never goes away, but somehow, it gets easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,343 Posts
The moco will cut the price of 19's soon after the 20's hit the floor.

Last year the cut was small, but then they cut again a few months into the winter.

But, Harley also cut the number of scooters built this year, to address how many left overs there were from previous years. SO its a bit of a crapshoot as to them having the scooter you want as a left over. In the past, it was pretty much a sure thing as long as it was not a limited production scooter. And I suspect this year will be the same, based on existing inventory and sluggish sales.

Past that, most of the discounting comes from additions to the trade value or adding merchandise to the ticket.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Any deal you get will depend on what model you want, if the dealer has too many in stock and if a particular bike is still super desirable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealers I'm looking at (Savannah, GA) near my mom's where I'm at now and at home in NOLA have quite a few Street Glide Specials on the floor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Doesn't make a difference if its a bike, automobile, tractor. Paying a dealership by cash HURTS the deal. The dealerships rely on financing for one of their revenue streams. Tell a sales guy you will be paying cash and your price just went up.

That being said, I dont understand why some people think that asking for a CASH price means anything to anyone. Dealerships will be paid in full before the vehicle leaves the property. Same for private sellers. Had a guy make a CASH offer on an engine I was selling a month or sa ago. I just laughed at him. Naturally he asked why I was laughing. As if I would even consider taking a check, or marbles or yim yams or anything else. Cash. Now that is funny.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Doesn't make a difference if its a bike, automobile, tractor. Paying a dealership by cash HURTS the deal. The dealerships rely on financing for one of their revenue streams. Tell a sales guy you will be paying cash and your price just went up.

That being said, I dont understand why some people think that asking for a CASH price means anything to anyone. Dealerships will be paid in full before the vehicle leaves the property. Same for private sellers. Had a guy make a CASH offer on an engine I was selling a month or sa ago. I just laughed at him. Naturally he asked why I was laughing. As if I would even consider taking a check, or marbles or yim yams or anything else. Cash. Now that is funny.
Cash offers usually under my opinion avoids any BS. Basically Johnny on the spot. Vs waiting to see what one can get what amount financed with, or privately waiting on one to come back with a cashier check or again financed on. You also avoid intrest if your the buyer.

I wished I had waited and paid cashed more often vs some of the impulse buys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used to sell cars for a living. Cash means the dealership isn't going to make anything on financing. Period.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A friend of mine got a financed deal on his Ultra. As soon as the paperwork was signed and bike delivered he turned around and handed them a check to pay off the Harley financing.

·
Super Moderator
19,343 Posts
Well in the last 6 months I've prolly had a dozen people ask me to give them easy payments on a private sale scooter.

Mostly "what I got now and the rest when I get it.". But a couple wanted payments, one wanted weekly payments. I guess it comes from having podunk used car lots on every other corner around here.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Regarding your original question, that seems about a grand too high to me. I think I would ask a few dealerships and see who wants to sell one.

Worst case you can always buy this one.

In my life the deals I have got screwed on were the ones I went in thinking "I better hurry up before I miss this deal". Now I take my time and if it wasn't meant to be then so be it.

Regardless, sorry about your loss and good luck with the new bike.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I used to sell cars for a living. Cash means the dealership isn't going to make anything on financing. Period.
You negotiate the deal as if you are financing and once the price is agreed upon change your mind and pay cash. The price will be the price or you walk. This has worked numerous times for me in buying both cars and bikes.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've had great luck and so have a few other I know at SpaceCoast Harley in Palm Bay, FL. Maybe contact them and see what kind of deal you can work including shipping, or buy it and ride it home. HMU if you'd like contact information.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You negotiate the deal as if you are financing and once the price is agreed upon change you mind and pay cash. The price will be the price or you walk. This has worked numerous times for me in buying both cars and bikes.
I spent 11 years in the car business. I was a new car sales manager, closer, finance guy...we always made money on a car deal, but the customer often walked away thinking they'd "won". I laugh when I read these "tactics" that people come up with. Everyone's a "master negotiator".

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I spent 11 years in the car business. I was a new car sales manager, closer, finance guy...we always made money on a car deal, but the customer often walked away thinking they'd "won". I laugh when I read these "tactics" that people come up with. Everyone's a "master negotiator".

The indicator of a good deal, both sides are happy. No business is going to sell at a loss and stay in business.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do y'all think about a black 2019 Street Glide Spec for just under $29k out the door?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
16 Participants
Greg_E
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing