V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Norman74...be careful what you buy !!! From my oun experience, I would not buy a used copper chopper. Ours here are rode hard and put away wet. The coppers on choppers don't give a sh*t, cuz they got that "it ain't mine" civil servant mentality. Ours (st. of Mich.) see a lot of action on the skid pad. They get trashed out pretty good. Slap some new chrome, floorboards, crash bars, paint etc.etc.etc. , and sell them at auction or however we (they) can. I'm not saying everybody does it this way, but you got to be careful. I've gotten some of ours ready for sale, and they looked good, but I would not buy one. For the cash (14K) you can do better. Just keep looking. Too bad there is no hour meter on that thing.

cars are little and smell funny.........dzlfitr

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so if used isn't the way to go, how about new? Can a regular joe buy a police model? I remember seeing a brand new one for sale at a dealership one time, but it was the dyna, and I think the po-po dyna looks like crap.
The best thing about a new police model is that I get to avoid all that butt ugly 100th bullshit they glued on the regular bikes.

·
Banned
490 Posts
on the other hand...

dzlfitr said:
Norman74...be careful what you buy !!! From my oun experience, I would not buy a used copper chopper. ...
The flip side of this is that Police Harleys have usually been serviced regularly by trained mechanics; have rarely been ridden by drunken lunatics; and probably have a pretty clean title. None of these things are a given when you buy a bike from a private party.

For what its worth, a lot of the old 1%'er club members used (back in the 60s-70s) to buy police Harleys at auction, on the theory that the police-service Harley's were equipped with the most rugged mechanicals available and because police departments would turn their bikes in when they had 50,000 miles on them - "nicely broken in". Of course these guys were planning on chopping the bikes pretty severely, so they didn't care too much about the bodywork, etc.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Norman74 said:
Ok, so if used isn't the way to go, how about new? Can a regular joe buy a police model? I remember seeing a brand new one for sale at a dealership one time
As far as I know, you have to be a police officer to buy one with a letter from your department Chief stating your intentions for the bike (parades, patrol, shows, etc.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Norman74 said:
Ok, so if used isn't the way to go, how about new? Can a regular joe buy a police model? I remember seeing a brand new one for sale at a dealership one time, but it was the dyna, and I think the po-po dyna looks like crap.
The best thing about a new police model is that I get to avoid all that butt ugly 100th bullshit they glued on the regular bikes.
Yes you can. When I was shopping for my bike, Fremont Cycles had a police "demo" bike coming up. Not many miles, it did not last a minute

·
Registered
401 Posts
Two of my friends and I have all bought FLHPI bikes from Zylstra HD (they have a shop in Iowa & a couple of others) We have been well pleased with them and they were in excellent shape. Mine had 350 miles, one had about 1500 and the other about 2k. They are a great riding bike. Be aware though, that you have to throw a little money at it to make it more servicable as a street bike i.e. seat (if you don't want the radio deck) & a few other things to make it more comfortable. I think they are a bargain & already EFI. Mine is a 2001 and theirs are 2000.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wanted to add a couple of things to my previous reply:

Harley leases many bikes to departments for $1 per year. They already come with chrome engine package (for resale value) they get turned in @ the end of the year (usually in the winter) and the Depts. get new ones. The ones that Zylstra has don't have that many miles cause the riding season up there IA, ND, SD, etc. is so short.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
nlallas said:
The bike I was referring to was a Harley factory demo. Came with a MSO, never registered, or used by a Police depatment

One thing to keep in mind if purchasing a factory "demo" bike. You will likely get a "power train " warranty only. At least that's the deal the factory gave me when I purchased my '01 FLHPI w/ 4117 miles on the clock. All in all I am happy with my scooter. Just thought the warranty offered was a bit cheap if you ask me. Sheesh !

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Depends where you buy it. It it comes from a major metro area, the bikes are bought new, and ridden until they won't go anymore. A whole bunch of smaller departments are one 1 year lease programs, and the bikes have low mileage, and had to be serviced by the dealer as part of the contract.

I turn one over every twelve months, and it's a well maintained, taken care of unit.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The price is in the neighborhood. Most I've seen go from $15,500 to $16,5000 for the lower miles. A lot depends if it's going straight out, or has a new seat and some other stuff.

Dealers aren't supposed to sell police units straight out. HD says they need to go to a department first, but I see a few get out. Mostly over orders from big departments, need 6, so order 8, and let the dealer sideline em out.

If you do pick one up, make sure you pull the flasher unit from the spots. Several times, I've seen them put white lights back in for the red/blue, but not take out the flasher unit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
FLHP said:

If you do pick one up, make sure you pull the flasher unit from the spots. Several times, I've seen them put white lights back in for the red/blue, but not take out the flasher unit.
Oh man, you're taking all the fun out of it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
A guy I work with picked up a PO-PO HD locally and paid about the same but the bike only had 4K miles or so. Also it is all white not 2-tone, he needs to add some flames or something, it is to white.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Norman , Peterson's get alot of the trade in's there I have been watching real close for the last 6 months before buying another scooter and what I have heard that in south florida there r some real good deals but look very close and shop around . I was told that dealers get on a list to apply and then bid on the police items and the scooters are sold then also and they go real cheap and most dealers rehab to a point then sell them .
Hope that helps a little:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts