V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an LED headlight and LED passing lamps on my 2003 Ultra Classic. Now I have this new fear that I'm going to walk out to the bike in a hotel parking lot while on a trip to find that someone has loosened three Philips-head screws and stolen $500 worth of lights.

Have any of you installed the lights and figured out a way to thwart thieves?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I was thinking about getting a set of those new LED lights for my bike too.

Where do you usually park your bike after dark? :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would just make sure that they are covered under accessories on your insurance policy.

It's a lot like the H-D detachable stuff and a lot of other add on accessories, if someone wants it bad enough, they will find the perfect time and place to steal what they want. Most H-D seats can be removed by taking out a single phillips head seat screw.

I never stay at a place where I can't physically see my Harley from the room, it has the security system with siren and I always have a Kimber .45 with me. Other than those precautions, I guess that's what insurance is for.

·
Registered
792 Posts
do the things look that radically different from everyday incandesent lights: who will even know that you have $500 lights?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do the things look that radically different from everyday incandescent lights: who will even know that you have $500 lights?
They look very different. Each lamp has several individual lenses for aiming the LED beams. You can see the difference with the lights off from across the street.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I have insurance and park wherever there is a parking spot, its a motorcycle not a gold bar. If I have to agonize over whether or not someone is going to take it or sit on it I don't need it that bad, and I've parked in some pretty seedy neighborhoods. At the end of the day if someone wants it their going to get it.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
I have insurance and park wherever there is a parking spot, its a motorcycle not a gold bar. If I have to agonize over whether or not someone is going to take it or sit on it I don't need it that bad, and I've parked in some pretty seedy neighborhoods. At the end of the day if someone wants it their going to get it.
I agree.. Insure the thing well and forget about it.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I always park it in the garage, but when on bike trips, it gets parked as close to my hotel room as possible.
I would always use a cover on the bike when staying at a hotel. That way your new LED headlights will not be nearly as visible for someone wanting to make a quick buck.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I would use the tamper proof screws. $500 is a lot to lose if someone takes them.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
@gree:mad:gree: If they want it bad enough they'll get them.. Don't worry about them or anything... Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems I spoke too soon when I said I had actually installed the passing lamps. The headlight install went fine, but I cannot get the trim ring on the passing lamps to fit the new LED lamps. From outside to inside, there is a trim ring, the actual lamp, a retention ring and the housing. Though the lamp appears to be the same size as the stock, the trim ring seems slightly too small to fit over the lip of the housing. Has anyone out there installed the Truck-Lite LED passing lamps on a 2003 Ultra? If you encountered the same problem, how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
New place to live.
Really I have been riding 41 years. been more places and events than I can count. Bike is parked at motels often.
I have never had one item stolen from my bike.
I know it happens, thats why we have ebay to sell the stolen parts but just not that big a worry.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only problem I've enountered at a motel was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming when a drunk rugby team urinated from the second floor balcony onto our bikes parked directly in front of our room. I also had billet brake and clutch reservoir covers stolen from my Ducati in a restaurant parking lot. Perhaps I'm worried for no reason, but once people discover how much better these LED lights are than stock incandescents, I think they will become highly desireable.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Perhaps I'm worried for no reason, but once people discover how much better these LED lights are than stock incandescents, I think they will become highly desireable.
Had a metric a few years ago with a factory detachable windshield. It came with a lock so the windshield could not be easily stolen. Made me feel better knowing that someone would really have to work hard to steal the windshield.

I know some have said to not worry about it and as long as you've done what you can to reduce the risk there isn't much else you can do. It's too bad that the LED lights look so different than the regular halogen. And if they weren't so expensive no one would worry about ripping them off.

A few years ago when the wife and I were in Miami Beach I noticed a nice new Porsche 911 drive by with a couple of holes where the headlights are supposed to be. Found out later that there was (is?) a big market for the xenon headlight. The lights were getting stolen out of vehicles at an alarming rate.

Wonder what response a cop would have if someone gets pulled over during the day with out their motorcycle headlight on. "Sorry officer, my lights got stolen so that's why they aren't on"!

Depending on the amount of your deductible for your comprehensive coverage on your insurance, you may be out quite a bit if they did get lifted. Have you talked to your agent about maybe getting a rider for that particular item on your bike? It might not cost much more but you'd be better covered.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
i've never had anybody screw with any of my bikes EVER...I think its much ado about nothing. I'd be more worried about someone stealing the WHOLE bike....thats sometimes quicker than messing around stealing parts. Google how long it takes someone to steal a bike...
Tim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts