V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently able to purchase a new fuel tank for my 03FLSTFI. I'm planning on having a custom paint job done on the new tank & then removing the original tank & putting it into storage.

The question is, what can I do to prevent rust from developing inside of the original tank. Should I coat the inside with some kind of oil? If so, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The original tank is already treated. I think nodoze is asking about coating the inside with oil or something similiar while the tank is stored.

I have always had good luck sealing the tank up, putting in a quart of Marvel Mystery oil, sloshing it around real good, draining it out, then sealing the tank back up. You are better off storing in a cool, dry place that is not subject to temperature extremes.

Another option, considering that synthetic oil has extremely good kling properties, would be to use a quart of it rather than Marvel.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"ED Y" has got it right. I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, I should coat the inside of the tank to be stored with to prevent it from rusting. I'm not looking for a permenant solution, so Kreme is out of the question.
Using some kind of oil sounds like the most reasonable option. Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just another option........only problem here is there's already paint on the original tank.....SO ya gotta be real careful, but the current rust can be removed with a fairly weak concentration of muriatic acid; then you can apply a product called "cream" or something like that. A coat of Marvel might the easiest.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chopper_larry said:
Just another option........only problem here is there's already paint on the original tank.....SO ya gotta be real careful, but the current rust can be removed with a fairly weak concentration of muriatic acid; then you can apply a product called "cream" or something like that. A coat of Marvel might the easiest.
Just to clarify... there is no current rust! The tank in question is brand new w/ the anniversary edition pin striping & emblem. I am removing this tank & putting it into storage & want to prevent any corrosion from starting on the inside of the tank.

I will be putting a second tank (w/ custom paint) back on the bike and am trying to preserve the original tank in case I ever want to sell the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts