V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the differences between these two other than the obvious ones of price and appearance. Is there a functional difference between them?

Thanks

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
rgterry said:
Does anyone know the differences between these two other than the obvious ones of price and appearance. Is there a functional difference between them?

Thanks
I have the super dooper looper premium and the difference is that the mount replaces the ENTIRE filter mount, where as the premium is an adapter that goes in line with your stock filter mount.

It is very nice, is kinda a PITA to put on but worth it.

Only draw back is the filter mount is chrome :dry:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I thought HD discontinued the premium cooler...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Check out the Jagg line of coolers, high quality, effective and priced right. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
rgterry,

The other diff is that the super premium cooler provides the oil connections right at the filter base. The standard cooler requires hoses to be routed from the back of the engine, underneath and up to the front where the cooler is. You also need to connect and hang the thermostat from these hoses under the engine. The super premium is allot cleaner installation.

Tom

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
mtmtrspt said:
rgterry,

The other diff is that the super premium cooler provides the oil connections right at the filter base. The standard cooler requires hoses to be routed from the back of the engine, underneath and up to the front where the cooler is. You also need to connect and hang the thermostat from these hoses under the engine. The super premium is allot cleaner installation.

Tom
Just so you know, the cooler setup you're referring to with the hoses routed from the oil return line between the engine and trans on the right side up under the engine to the front was discontinued about 3 years ago. The other cooler alternative to the "super premimum" utilizes an adapter with thermostat (and tab to keep it from turning when loosening a filter) that mounts on the stock filter mount.

I agree that the "super premimum" setup is a very clean and nice design. Only thing you have to be very careful of is the clutch cable and/or anything else rubbing on the 2 lines from the filter mount to the cooler. It's a very tight fit there.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Ed Y said:
I agree that the "super premimum" setup is a very clean and nice design. Only thing you have to be very careful of is the clutch cable and/or anything else rubbing on the 2 lines from the filter mount to the cooler. It's a very tight fit there.
I agree. I have the Super Premium on my Ultra. The hoses are extremely close to the frame and voltage regulator. To help protect the hoses, cut a couple pieces of wire loom and slip them over the hoses near the possible contact points.

I inspect mine every service for possible rubbing.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
timbo said:
I agree. I have the Super Premium on my Ultra. The hoses are extremely close to the frame and voltage regulator. To help protect the hoses, cut a couple pieces of wire loom and slip them over the hoses near the possible contact points.

I inspect mine every service for possible rubbing.
That's what I used to do when I was running that setup. I've been super unlucky with the low mount coolers, though. Twice I've had a rock or small metal piece take out the cooler (one of the hazards of lots of miles (over 100,000) I guess). Finally got tired of replacing it and took the setup off the bike. I'm going to try and use the adapter from the Preminum kit with a JAGG cooler that mounts on the left frame downtube.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ed Y said:
That's what I used to do when I was running that setup. I've been super unlucky with the low mount coolers, though. Twice I've had a rock or small metal piece take out the cooler (one of the hazards of lots of miles (over 100,000) I guess). Finally got tired of replacing it and took the setup off the bike. I'm going to try and use the adapter from the Preminum kit with a JAGG cooler that mounts on the left frame downtube.

Thats what I did and it works great. The adapter is a clean install and the Jagg is good quality.
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28457&d=1137633365

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Ed Y,

Point well taken. Guess I'm behind (again) with Harley and their upgrading of parts. I must have had one the last production "old style" coolers on an '03 FLHRCI that I just traded in for an '06 FLHTCUI.
Of course the cooler on the new Ultra is the super premium.

Tom

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
mtmtrspt said:
Ed Y,

Point well taken. Guess I'm behind (again) with Harley and their upgrading of parts. I must have had one the last production "old style" coolers on an '03 FLHRCI that I just traded in for an '06 FLHTCUI.
Of course the cooler on the new Ultra is the super premium.

Tom
I know what you mean. I have to think twice anymore about posting any kind of info. HD keeps changing things so fast that it's hard to keep up, especially if you're retired. ^rolleyez^ Sure used to be lots easier 20 years ago knowing what fit what and what was available. ;)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ed Y said:
Peacekeeper,

What did you use for input/output to the coolers?

The jagg adapter.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I think in my spare time here at the shop I will make a vented grille for my Sup Premium oil cooler to prevent rock damage.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
timbo said:
I think in my spare time here at the shop I will make a vented grille for my Sup Premium oil cooler to prevent rock damage.
Hey make two while you are at:yes:

I saw something with the cover for the Super Dooper, and that mesh you see on screen doors or the back of window air conditioners, you can cut it to fit the cooler itself and then install the cover holds it in place.

My problem as always is CHROME, I hate putting any on, but may need to unless you figure a way to attach without the cover. If it don't make it faster or ride better, or prolong the life of the bike, I wont pay a dime for any extra chrome.

I was going to try before riding season, go to Home Depot and find a piece, if I have to spay it black too bad, and cut it the exact size of the entire unit and either use black silicone, or two black wire ties to hold it in place. If you cut it long enough to wrap around the sides, you could use a brake and bend it to exact width, slip it down over and spot silicon it in the rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts