V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents (and ladies), haven't posted in awhile----been soaking up the info however.

I have turned over 1700 miles on my '02 FLTRI with the Big Bore 95' and am experiencing a slight pre-ignition noise in first gear when pulling away from a stop. Not a loud rattle, and only for a second or two from initial pull-away. Now it seems to happen when I start accelerating from around 2K in any gear (although very minor and not all the time). This seems to happen only when she's especially hot (after highway riding or lots of stop and go).

I beat my brains out breaking her in right with no lugging, kept under 65 mph and 3K rpms for 1000 miles. After that, kept the rpms down---less than 3800 rpms. Still haven't run over 4K. Also, I'm using 91 octane with no exceptions.

Anyhow, brought it to the dealer to let the service manager and one of his techs ride her. They said not to worry, but if it continues or gets worse to address it at the 2500 service. Since then it *seems* to be more noticable to me. May be a case of pa-a-arinoia. With this exception, the machine is a strong, smooth performing bike. This is really f**king my head up.

Since this is my first v-twin can someone give me some insight? Anyone have this type of thing with a big bore (or 88 for that matter)? What's the best thing to do from here?

Mike M

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to say without riding the bike, but there could be any number of contributing factors. Temperature, and possibly a summer gas formulation among them. It would be more noticeable with a big bore as they run a little more compression and tend to run a little hotter.

Sometimes you have to ride around temporary problems with these bikes, but I would say that accelerating from 2000 rpm, in particular in the higher gears is not a good idea. You got to keep the rpm's up, even more so in hot weather, and when conditions are not the best you got to give the bike a chance to live.

The dealer is clearly blowing you off as the 2500 mi service is at best a oil change. The sooner you realize that in most cases you have to go outside the dealer network to optimize the bike, the better off you will be.
If you are worried about it, get it on a sniffer dyno and have them run a fuel curve to see where the bike is at. If it is too lean something has to be done pretty quick, and it may require a Power Commander and a properly built map.
It seems that some of these bikes tend to develop low fuel pressure conditions, and if this is the case it should be corrected first. The problem is what the factory considers normal pressure readings includes a huge tolerance window. They only run really well at the upper limit of the spec.

Generally I don't know the dealers in Colorado, but the one in Pueblo seems to have a good reputation. You may want to give them a try if you don't want to go to a reputable performance shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the dealer is OK. In fact, they suggested that they would put it on their dyno when I get the 2500 done. The whole thing has got me somewhat concerned but not overly so. I guess I'll wait and see at 2500.

Thanks again Hippo.

Mike M

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just wondering what you found out on your ping. I just got a used 2000 ultra with a 95" kit. And I've heard the same noise in mine too.
I'm betting on hi compression and poor grade of gas.
My 84 lowrider pinged a lot worse so I'm not worried, just woundering what you found out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FLHT,

No new to report. Seems it may be a gas problem----since it doesn't happen all the time----plus just a characteristic of the 95" setup, especially at altitude (I live in Denver and ride in the hills alot). Seems when I ran a particular type of gasoline (BP-Amoco) I didn't hear the pinging as much.

Who knows. Part of it is getting used to an air cooled v-twin and the noises it makes at times. Hippo is right---got to keep those "R"s up.

Mike M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts