V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All: I just got back from the Jamie McNaughton Seminar on "Powertrain Performance Development" . All in all a very in depth session, though at times seemed to be a show-case of the MoCo's engineering practices. The presenters seem genuinely interested in helping anyone that wants to campaign a V-Rod. A very interesting software package that will let the individual V-Rod owner Map and change all the ECM functions. I was all excited untill Mike stated that the interface box links to one ECM and thats it. You can't just run around and remap everyboby's ECM that asks :mad: This program has among other things the abilaty to push back or remove the Knock sensor[kills timing] so one can move sparklead around and find the edge[so to speak] and the other features make for a very complete package. I can't wait to get one! More to follow! Stay Tuned: Steve

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sounds just like the EFI tuner we have been working with on the Delphi bikes for some time now. :D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
For tuning purposes the playback capability in data mode is pretty much equivalent, unless you really want to adjust parameters on the fly.
Way too much liability potential the way things are around here, might work in Europe though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the dyno[Rolling Road] I know the mapping will not work out well. But I do like the ability to back off the Knock sensor for the nitrious and turbo tests. I just don't know at what pressure the ionizing or lack there of will cause all the timing to drop out!
Hippo, I wouldn't want to ride my bike while clicking on the key board either!<G>
Best: Steve

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If I understand you right the ionization knock control works the other way around.
It does get disabled relatively easily by miscellaneous outside factors, but when it does you in essence lose your safety, the knock retard drops out and it works with the full advance from whatever map you have in there.
This is based on the Delphi bikes and not the VRod, but one would think it works in a similar manner.

I just use the recorded knock retard to tailor the advance curve, ie I don't disable the knock control but use it as a map building tool. We are probably pursuing different objectives though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the same objective...maybe . My concern is that at what cylinder pressure will the box think its too hard to ionize the gap? Send the timing back and kill my test! Don't get me wrong, I like the Knock sensor, Its great for the street! But when we raise VE I believe this will hinder me with slower burning fuels. I,m not sure yet, testing will tell....It almost like the engine was made for NOS or a Turbo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts