V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into some heating clothing but have never even seen any much less owned any..Will it plug into my cigarette lighter on my Electra Glide?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dwarthog said:
You can get adapters that allow you to plug into your cig lighter/auxillary power port.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Cigarette-Lighter-Plug-p-16532.html

I am sure it can be found elsewhere as well.
Thanks..I already have a plug for my battery tender on the battery..I didn't know that the plug would match the plug for electric clothes..Does the Gerbing clothes take the same plug that the battery tender does?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
lawman 101 said:
Thanks..I already have a plug for my battery tender on the battery..I didn't know that the plug would match the plug for electric clothes..Does the Gerbing clothes take the same plug that the battery tender does?
The older clothes from abut 4 years ago had a two-way flat plug like a battery tender. The newer clothes have coax style plugs. You can get a short adapter from Gerbings that will allow you to hook up a coax plug to a two-way flat or you can simply just put a coax style plug on your tender and then use the harness that comes with the clothing. I vote for the latter.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
My aerostich heated vest does. It uses what I believe is the standard SAE connector. The same one a battery tender connects too.

I would imagine that Gerbring use industry standard connections as well.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
dwarthog said:
My aerostich heated vest does. It uses what I believe is the standard SAE connector. The same one a battery tender connects too.

I would imagine that Gerbring use industry standard connections as well.
The Widder heated clothing website has quite a few adapters for various power plugs.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

thanks guys...What a great source for information!
I'm new here but plan to check in a lot! thx..

·
Registered
769 Posts
you may run into a problem where the fuse in the tender cord isnt big enough to handle the jacket...... I have three hot fused leads added to my bike ,, two that cover the rider plug in's for the gerbing heated jacket liners and one for the tender...... rat

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mtairy biker said:
call this guy he is a friend we ride together and he is the # 1 dealer for Gerbings Mike Vlahos 301-922-7011
www.heatedclothing4you.com
he gives great prices and he has been rideing for 35+ years and he will know what you need NO B.S
got it ! thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
lawman 101 said:
I'm looking into some heating clothing but have never even seen any much less owned any..Will it plug into my cigarette lighter on my Electra Glide?

Save yourself a few dollars and use our plug for the battery hook up. Your cigarette lighter is about 5 amps maybe 10 our clothing has a 15 amp fuse. You could use it if you built up the amps on your lighter.

We haven't used the SAE plug since 2003 because some Harley dealers were telling their customers you hook up to their plug battery tender and it would cause problems. This coax was an idea I gave to Mr. Gerbing when I became a dealer. Then you can get an adapter from our plug to your battery tender with no problems. I hope this helps everyone.

Mr. Warmth

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
I bought the Aux plug from Harley that plugs into the aux harness under the seat that is controlled by the Aux switch on the dash. I wired up the Gerbing plug to it, and I can control the heat with the Aux switch.

It you're going to use a thermostat, then wire directly to the battery.
I find that the switch suits my needs just fine.

If you don't have an Aux. switch, Gerbing makes a nice rocker switch that lights up and plugs in-line with the other stuff. You can velcro it to a spot under the seat that you can easily reach while you are riding (that's what I did on the Dyna). The switch lights up with it's on. This works fine too.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Klang said:
I bought the Aux plug from Harley that plugs into the aux harness under the seat that is controlled by the Aux switch on the dash. I wired up the Gerbing plug to it, and I can control the heat with the Aux switch.

It you're going to use a thermostat, then wire directly to the battery.
I find that the switch suits my needs just fine.

If you don't have an Aux. switch, Gerbing makes a nice rocker switch that lights up and plugs in-line with the other stuff. You can velcro it to a spot under the seat that you can easily reach while you are riding (that's what I did on the Dyna). The switch lights up with it's on. This works fine too.

I use the gerbing pig tails provided ... and their controllers ,,, i put a piece of velcro wool on the little classic logo .. thats on the tank right by the front of the saddle.... i just velcro the heat controller there ....it works well and due to the fairing on the glide seems to stay pretty dry even in the rain .....It makes it easy stoke up the heat when you need it ..... alot of guys use the on off switch as well ....wiring it into the acc switch is a good idea ,,, trying to fish for the on off switch in a jacket pocket or where ever seems like it would be way more of a distraction than just flipping the switch on the electrical panel .... you came up with a good idea ,,, smart thinking . rat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts