V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 FLSTCI with a Stage I and V&H Big Shots (Longs) installed. I am having the dealer do the basic 95" BB upgrade (203 cam). My question is this: Would I notice an improvement in HP/TQ by adding the Power Commander over going with the dealer installed ECM re-flash?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
breeze, go with the SE race tuner. The re-flash will be lean, and why buy a product (Power Commander) that is designed to 'fool" your ECM. Adding another "box" to save a hundred bucks makes no sense to me.
PC lovers flame on.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....you will notice an improvement with any of the fuel management devices on the market (DFO, PCIIIusb and SERT). The ECM flash will raise your redline, but you can manage without it.

One of the keys to deciding what device to buy is the available talent in your area for tuning. If there's a competent PC tuner available and no one that can tune the SERT......which is the better buy?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
The SERT is cheaper than the download and the PC combimed! SERT better if you have a tuner. Like hogg said, find a tuner you are comfortable with before you decide, makes sense!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my experience, and I am very new to all this but I do know how to read, and I am very grateful to all you experenced riders and tech's out there for posting your knowledge.
I went with the PC because in my neck of the woods, the dealers didn't have the sert dialed-in correctly. It wasn't until this fall that the tech's from the shops went to this guy "private contractor" to learn the sert. All my buddies that have been riding thier bikes for 2 seasons finally have smiles on thier faces. So I will admit that the sert will give you better numbers on the dyno than the PC. Saying that I am still reading about who's got the better product. If you look at dynojets site they are very helpful in understanding and providing information about thier product. You can down load maps, submit a request for a map for the particular configurations you have on your bike. Moderators please correct me if this is wrong.
The sert seems to be this top secret thing only few people have access to, I keep reading about it on a couple different forums trying to get the facts correct.
Have your read Springer's thread on the sert, great job.
So I do have one question ??? Who really makes the sert? Who really makes the PC. It strikes me that both products talk to the dyno just fine! Has anyone researched this?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hey guys dont want to be a party pooper but this should be in the EFI forum, what do you say??

Ozzie

·
Registered
755 Posts
cedarbreeze said:
I have an '05 FLSTCI with a Stage I and V&H Big Shots (Longs) installed. I am having the dealer do the basic 95" BB upgrade (203 cam). My question is this: Would I notice an improvement in HP/TQ by adding the Power Commander over going with the dealer installed ECM re-flash?

Thanks,
Mark
Yo man. The bottom line (in getting back to your specific question) is this:

1. When you do upgrades you are at the mercy of the shop doing them so they are your first resource. If you are paying them to do the work, then you have to have entrusted them this far.
2. What others have said about "tuning" is really the heart of your concern. After the BB kit and cams are put in you WILL NEED IT TUNED by some method.
3. I have NOT seen the dealers do a high percentage of "spot-on" tuning and the HD ECM reflash will get you somewhere in the ball park but you may need additional tweaking for it to run correctly.
4. The generic ECM flash is NOT likely to be optimized for your build (especially with those pipes) so it is almost a certainty that your ride will not be "optimized" exactly for your build. Whether or not it is grossly "off" will be determined by how your bike runs when it is done. You'll know if it is grossly off (real bad gas mileage, running hot, bluing pipes, lots of decel popping, etc.) This is where the PC or the SERT will come into play at the hands of a decent tuner. Preferably one with a dyno.

With all of that said, it doesn't hurt to let them finish your build and then decide whether it is running to your satisfaction before laying out more cash for a PC or SERT. I have been involved with several PC installations and the follow-up tuning afterwards and EVERY ONE has resulted in more power and an optimized A/F ratio. I am sure that the SERT will do the same in the right hands.

Hope that helps. You'll dig the extra power and low-end that your gonna get with more displacement and that cam either way.:cheers:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hey guys dont want to be a party pooper but this should be in the EFI forum, what do you say??

Ozzie
Hey OZ! How are ya mate?

Edited: on second thought - I think you're right...

Hope you are doing well. Cheers.:cheers:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Ozzie In Arabia said:

Ozzie

...you're correct! I didn't even notice the forum it was in, thanks:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Hi Ozzie,
Say I've been looking for the general EFI forum, as I figured it would be the most likely location to review latest debate on SERT vs. PC vs. DFO, ect. I can't find that forum - only one for maps. Am I completely missing it here. It's such an emerging and large topic that I'm sure there must be one here. Can you send me in the right direction?
Thank you much,
Screech

·
Banned
90 Posts
Just go for the PCIII, load a map like the 802-307 (2001) or the 807-054 ( > 2001). I have it on my RK'01, SE203, open outlets 1 1/4 samson dragpipez, open air Kuryakyn and the stage II ECU flash ( for higher revving only), Thunder Monsters ( quite awsome results) and i FEEL the difference.
Next step i'll do when the wether is become better, is to have it tuned at a ligit dyno tuner ....

have an excellent day,

Patrick from Belgium:nfu2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts