V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I donwn load a map from the power commander do I loose my SE stage I map install in H-D?, Do I have to instal the stage I in H-D or at the moment that I down load a map to my power commander IIIr with stage I in it automaticle donwn load it in my bike?
Does anyone knows what cartage do I need for a 2002 fat-boy efi?
thank you,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No, downloading or uploading maps into the PC does not affect the stage flash in the ECM.

Depending on wether you have the stock ECM flash or the stage 1 flash you would need a different map for the PC. In addition you would need complete and exact information on everything that has been put on the bike, to even begin to take a guess at a map.

On a 02 bike you only need either one, stage flash or PC, or both if you wish, if you go beyond reasonable pipes.

I'm not sure that a PC is a good idea unless absolutely necessary, when there is no local tech support. PC's are great when you know what you are doing, but can very easily screw things up if not programmed right for the bike, and even a good map has to be tweaked more often then not.

There is no one in Mexico City at this time that can build a map off the bike, as far as I know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES YOU ARE RIGHT NO 0NE IN MEXICO CAN BUILD A MAP AND THIS MAKES IT VERY HARD TO SET A BIKE RIGHT DO TO THE ALTITUD THAT WE HAVE HERE IN MEXICO CITY(2,500 METERS ABOVE SEA LEVEL)
IN THE POWER COMMANDER PAGE THEY SHOW THE SAME COMBINATION THAT I HAVE WHICH IS:SCREAMING EAGLE AIR FILTER AND STAGE I ECM, STOCK ENGINE, AND VINCE & HINES STAGGERD BIG SHOTS, DO YOU THINK IF I DOWN LOAD THIS PROGRAM INTO MY COMMANDER III IT WOULD WORK FINE(BETER THAN STOCK) AT THIS HI ALTITUD? DO I NEED THE COMMANDER IIIr?
GRACIAS,HIPPO

HIPPO said:
No, downloading or uploading maps into the PC does not affect the stage flash in the ECM.

Depending on wether you have the stock ECM flash or the stage 1 flash you would need a different map for the PC. In addition you would need complete and exact information on everything that has been put on the bike, to even begin to take a guess at a map.

On a 02 bike you only need either one, stage flash or PC, or both if you wish, if you go beyond reasonable pipes.

I'm not sure that a PC is a good idea unless absolutely necessary, when there is no local tech support. PC's are great when you know what you are doing, but can very easily screw things up if not programmed right for the bike, and even a good map has to be tweaked more often then not.

There is no one in Mexico City at this time that can build a map off the bike, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
With just the air intake, pipes and stage 1 flash I would try to run the bike without the Power Commander and see what it does.

The altitude is not a problem with EFI bikes as they will automatically compensate for it. The pipes might be. Not good to lose the crossover. At least run as much baffle as possible. EFI bikes need backpressure even more then carb bikes to make torque in the low and midrange (you already are losing some power due to the altitude and probably some more due to fuel, if the fuel in Mexico City is the same as in Baja) This makes pipes very critical, even more then they normally would be.
Or you can ride it to Acapulco. It will rip there. LOL.

If the thing runs like a dog, then worry about the PC.

See, the PC might give you a little, but there is always a risk in using them far from service support. If you already have it and are willing to take the gamble, yes the map should be fairly close, but all these things vary some from bike to bike.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Since you are down there, I'll give you a little something off the record.

If you are on good terms with the dealer guys down there, ask them to check the fuel pressure the bike runs.
If it is close to the upper limit of the spec it will run fine with just the latest stage1 reflash.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hola ceferino, que tal todo chilango? do you know paco at boliva h-d? always found him knowlegable. i'm not in df right now(colonial del valle), but e-mail me and i can turn you on to mi amigo de taxquena, cerca tlalpan. he'll dial it in for ya. suerte, kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts