V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Power Commander on my 01 FLHRCi w/Stage 1 and slip-ons.

Am I correct in assuming that when I do my 95" build I won't need a Stage II flash; I can make necessary adjustments with the PC?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Sinker said:
I just installed a Power Commander on my 01 FLHRCi w/Stage 1 and slip-ons.

Am I correct in assuming that when I do my 95" build I won't need a Stage II flash; I can make necessary adjustments with the PC?
Yes you are correct...the stage II down load is not necessary

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Some people view the flash as an insurance policy . There have been a number of stories about PCIII's crapping out on people (fried circuitry?). If this happens and you still have your Stage I flash, you will be running very lean. If you get the Stage II and your PCIII craps out, at least you won't worry about damaging the engine riding it home or to a dealership. Anyway, just a thought.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Lunker said:
Some people view the flash as an insurance policy . There have been a number of stories about PCIII's crapping out on people (fried circuitry?). If this happens and you still have your Stage I flash, you will be running very lean. If you get the Stage II and your PCIII craps out, at least you won't worry about damaging the engine riding it home or to a dealership. Anyway, just a thought.
Most of the storys are just that....storys!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
There's something that I cannot get...

everybody says that there's no difference if you have done your download or not when you have a PCIII

however, if you look at maps selection guide on powercommander.com you find "Stage of ECM (Harley Davison models only)
When looking at the map database first choose stock, Stage 1, or Stage 2 ECM. This has a large affect on the
map requirement and should be looked at first."

so?! it seems that we have a difference...

ciao...

F

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Pippeis said:
There's something that I cannot get...

everybody says that there's no difference if you have done your download or not when you have a PCIII

however, if you look at maps selection guide on powercommander.com you find "Stage of ECM (Harley Davison models only)
When looking at the map database first choose stock, Stage 1, or Stage 2 ECM. This has a large affect on the
map requirement and should be looked at first."

so?! it seems that we have a difference...

ciao...

F
Its necessary for the different maps to list the downloads....if you have a S/E air filter kit, ProPipe, 37 cam, and a stage 1 ECM you will need less fuel in places on the map than if you had a S/E air filter, ProPipe, 37 cam and a STOCK ECM.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Most of the storys are just that....storys!!!
Fair enough. I have read a bunch of stories about PCIII failures, but the Forum seems to be the place where people with a bad experience come to vent. You don't read much about the PCIII units that have been reliable because nobody's pissed off abut them.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Lunker said:
Fair enough. I have read a bunch of stories about PCIII failures, but the Forum seems to be the place where people with a bad experience come to vent. You don't read much about the PCIII units that have been reliable because nobody's pissed off abut them.
I haven't read much about PC failures here? Did a search, no matches???
where's the "bunch" about failures?
Don't get me wrong, I have heard of failures, but I have heard of many cases where the EFI Module failed and sometimes due to some anomilee in the SERT programming.
I am not trying to defend or endorse any one product in this case but let's be fair here.
OBTW, I have a PCIII but will be upgrading to a sert when I do my build......
-2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
adlerx said:
I haven't read much about PC failures here? Did a search, no matches???
where's the "bunch" about failures?
Don't get me wrong, I have heard of failures, but I have heard of many cases where the EFI Module failed and sometimes due to some anomilee in the SERT programming.
I am not trying to defend or endorse any one product in this case but let's be fair here.
OBTW, I have a PCIII but will be upgrading to a sert when I do my build......
-2$en#e-

Adlerx,

I've been a member here for a bit over a year and would guess that I've seen about nearly a dozen mentions of PoweCommanders biting the dust for whatever reason (water, heat, vibration, you name it, etc). Is it possible that there were multiple threads about the same PC failure? Yup. It could also be a case of the squeaky wheel catching my attention. Here are a few threads I found on a search:
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=41958&highlight=pcIII+failure
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=32717&highlight=powercommander+problem

and especially
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=35137&highlight=powercommander+problem

·
Registered
139 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Its necessary for the different maps to list the downloads....if you have a S/E air filter kit, ProPipe, 37 cam, and a stage 1 ECM you will need less fuel in places on the map than if you had a S/E air filter, ProPipe, 37 cam and a STOCK ECM.
Is the result different?!

ciao...

F

1 - 10 of 10 Posts