V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta '05 EFI Night Train w/ PCIII
Is it possible to lower Idle some or check Idle with Power Commander?

ThanX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
NTrain said:
Gotta '05 EFI Night Train w/ PCIII
Is it possible to lower Idle some or check Idle with Power Commander?

ThanX
It is not actually wise to lower it from where your factory ECM is set because it is set there in order to provide adequate oil pressure at idle. However, the PC allows you to add or remove fuel from any RPM in the band including the zero-throttle position (which would be "idle") or the "zero throttle cell." By decreasing the fuel at that position in the PC map you can thereby lower the idle RPM.

Lower it too much ----> thingies not lubed right in the top end -----> thingies get hot ------> thingies go crunch, crunch -----> you no ride no more till wrench fixes you...
 

·
Even my cologne is chrome
Joined
·
87 Posts
NTrain said:
Gotta '05 EFI Night Train w/ PCIII
Is it possible to lower Idle some or check Idle with Power Commander?

ThanX
you can read the idle in the window of the control software when plugged into the bike and the bike is running. then you can see your idle RPM if you are curious.

-MFB
 

·
Delinquent
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
Fire4Effect said:
It is not actually wise to lower it from where your factory ECM is set because it is set there in order to provide adequate oil pressure at idle. However, the PC allows you to add or remove fuel from any RPM in the band including the zero-throttle position (which would be "idle") or the "zero throttle cell." By decreasing the fuel at that position in the PC map you can thereby lower the idle RPM.
F4E,

Not sure it works that way.

I messed around with it and no adjustments to -20 in the 0% throttle position changed idle RPM.
 

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
Joined
·
537 Posts
Fire4Effect said:
It is not actually wise to lower it from where your factory ECM is set because it is set there in order to provide adequate oil pressure at idle. However, the PC allows you to add or remove fuel from any RPM in the band including the zero-throttle position (which would be "idle") or the "zero throttle cell." By decreasing the fuel at that position in the PC map you can thereby lower the idle RPM.

Lower it too much ----> thingies not lubed right in the top end -----> thingies get hot ------> thingies go crunch, crunch -----> you no ride no more till wrench fixes you...

The PCIII doesn't offer idle adjustment. Removing fuel from the "idle cells" will only result in overheating due to lean condition. If you want to lower it go with a SERT. As mentioned, lower isn't always better. I dropped mine down to 850 or so, but I do not idle in traffic around here, in the city I'd be hesitant to do so.

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
The PCIII doesn't offer idle adjustment. Removing fuel from the "idle cells" will only result in overheating due to lean condition. If you want to lower it go with a SERT. As mentioned, lower isn't always better. I dropped mine down to 850 or so, but I do not idle in traffic around here, in the city I'd be hesitant to do so.

Brad
You are correct that the PC does not offer and "official" idle rpm adjustment. however we were able to modulate the idle rpms somewhat playing with the idle A/F mix and enrichening did it, not leaning it out as I said earlier. As I stated (and you reiterated) this is not a recommended method, nor should you wanted to decrease the rev limit. No confusion intended.

Also, while we're on the PC, there have been a hundred threads here in past years asking if the rev limit can be raised with the PC and the answer historically was NO. However, as of this month, Dynojet released an upgrade "kit" for existing USB models that increases the rev limit to 6200 rpm WITHOUT getting an ECM reflash. They're retailing for about $40 if you buy the upgrade or they'll do it for you for $20 if you send it to them.

Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
356 Posts
That is correct on the rev limiter. Had my bike dynoed the other day and the tuner raised my rev limiter. It was originally stopping at about 5400 RPM. Now, I would never ride up in there, but it is there now none the less.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top