V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hats off to those who can install one in "just minutes"! I must have spent an hour and a half getting it tucked in just to where the seat would go back on! I have never installed anything that was such a PITA. I installed it on an 05 Dyna. I hear the Softails are even more difficult. Not looking for any advice, just needed to vent. There, now I feel better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Right there with you man. Had a hell of a time installing one on my 04" Low Rider but it was worth it in the end. I have seen some people cut out a notch in the underside of their seet and recess it in there. The recomended place on my 06'Night Train was behind the mud flap in front of the rear wheel. I took a heat gun and softened up the underside of the seat and made a depression with a steel bar. Then I mounted the PCIII on the fender right behind the ECI. I am afraid to let anyone ride behind me though for fear they will put too much pressure on the PCIII. (My wife prefers it that way anyhow!) But it made it very easy for me to take off. I don't have a laptop so in order to change maps I have to remove it. Takes me about 2 minutes to remove and hook back up.

·
Can you hear me now
153 Posts
I had a hell of my time with my 06 Nightrain and my 85 Softail. It took some fancy work under the seat to make it all fit. I have to say it was worth it once I was done but I cursed the entire time installing them. I just want to know who draws up the directions for the installs............

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Just put a PC on my 05 Deuce under non stock seat. Couldn't install it according to instructions, on top of relay box. It only took 20 minutes. Bike runs with improved throttle response, smoother in low end and even a bit cooler. Used the recommended map for the pipes and A/C that I have.
Well worth it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
You should of just got the SERT.

Nothing to install.

Plus, you don't have to fool the ECM so there is less chance of having a problem when you're on the road.

:xhere:

:roflback:
I'm just kidding man!!!

I have a PCIII, but on a touring model, so it's a lot easier to put on. Most installs I have read about and seen on the other models were done with the "seat cut-out" method. I think PowerCommander should do some more R&D and come up with a smaller unit. They really haven't changed sizes since they've come out.

:cheers:

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
I have the PC III and there is plenty of space to put it where they say to, however the velcor doesn't hold it in place very well. With the Road King, I'd suggest taking the battery out and run some tie-wraps through the holes that are on the bottom of the battery tray, this will secure the connector a lot better.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
On my Road King, I zip-tied my PCIII to the ECU. It sits right on top of it, and fits with no problems behind the side cover. It's the same place the directions recommends...

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
On my Road King, I zip-tied my PCIII to the ECU. It sits right on top of it, and fits with no problems behind the side cover. It's the same place the directions recommends...
I agree 100%, however the connector cables are to be pushed back under the battery tray and held in place with velcor. I wasn't that clear before, the PC III does tie wrap very well to the ECM. It's the excessive cables I want to secure a bit more thats all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just put one on my 05 fxstb. Just barely got it in there.
Think its possible to screw up settings being crammed into the seat?

·
Even my cologne is chrome
87 Posts
wow, that is a lot of venting in just one day! I had the same problem and left threads in the other forums.

I wonder if dyno jet folks read these and I wonder if anybody wants to do a product review on this. we all have the same main concern -- doesn't fit as described. ('02 Fatboy, stock seat)

-MFB

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
bay13 said:
It's the excessive cables I want to secure a bit more thats all.
Yea, you're right, those cables don't stay in place with that velcro. I don't think I cleaned the area good enough before I put the velcro-tape on, so mine doesn't even stick at all. It's just the stiffness of the cables that keeps it tucked underneath.

I don't read so good sometimes, I thought you were saying to put the PCIII unit under the battery tray. Yea... I'm slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts