V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the auto tuner be left on all the time and just continusely tune the bike?from what i read you drive about 50 miles then send the map it creates to the power commander.i know there is more to it than this but this is the short version.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
The AutoTune should be on all the time to function properly. It is constantly tuning depending on all the varibles and the o2 sensor inputs. It is also recording the adjustments it is making in each fuel Map cell. For the first several rides, you should "Accept Trims" in the AutoTune software which adjusts the base Map to what the AutoTune is correcting. Once the trims have been accepted a few times the base Map is nearly perfect but the AutoTune will always keep making tiny adjustments. The number values you see in the Trims are percentages, + or - of change to the fuel map in the ECU or the fuel map in the PC V once trims are accepted. A number of 10 would be adding 10 percent fuel in that cell (specific rpm and throttle position). Even if you never accept trims, as long as the base map is close the AutoTune will do the rest and make the adjustments. Looking at the trims will tell you how close the current map is to what the AutoTune is adjusting. The first several rides you may see larger trim numbers, as high as 40 or so. Once trims are accepted a few time you will begin to see much smaller numbers 1, 2 , 3 etc., meaning the AutoTune is making minute adjustments since the map is so close. If you don't leave the AutoTune on full time it doesn't make a lot of sense to have it since it can't adjust the map. It is an excellent product and works great. In the cool spring and fall, I see plus numbers as the AutoTune adds a little fuel due to cooler air temps - would add even more in cold winter temps. In the hot summer I see negative numbers as the AutoTune takes a little fuel out.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Some people will use the auto tune to tune the map as close as the auto tune will make it, then remove it. I leave mine on. I know of a guy that will rent his auto tune unit out for a customer to fine tune their map, then return it to him...It has been paid for many times. I feel if you have a map that has had the auto tuner on it for the fine tuning, and you remove it, you will be just fine. Think of how many people have just the PC V and they have the same thing...It runs on different fuels as well....JMO

·
Registered
188 Posts
Both of these replies are good advice

I've got my autotune down to between 2 and 5% changes and leave it alone now. Most columns are at 0 so I'm figuring the base map is as close to perfect as it will ever get. I'm sure it's better than any dyno tune since it has made its adjustments based on my riding habits. It takes a few weeks of riding but well worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question pertains to the subject.

I like my bike to run optimally at all times. If I add an auto tuner to my PC-V, can I be assured that will be the case? Or, would I still benefit by having the bike dyno'd?

What about if I made modifications in the future, i.e., pipes, intake, etc? Does the auto tuner "just do it" or are we still encouraged to dyno the bike....?

thanks in advance- YR

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I loaded a close map then Dyno tuned my bike at 80 and 100% throttle position. Then just let the auto tune do the rest. So far so good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts