V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if installing a power commander USB will void the factory warranty? I have read a lot of negative comments about the HD stage one down load. Several friends have power commanders and swear by them. However, none of their bikes were under warranty when they installed them. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My dealer told me that if any Harley Service Dept. finds a power commander in any vehicle, it is to report your VIN number to the MoCo and warranty will be disallowed in a national database.

I got a SERT, but I am sure they will find a way to negate my warranty anyway.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The dealer I got my bike from is an authorized PC tuning center, I don't think they care one way or another if you have one on your bike. I don't think it would go over too well if I took my bike in for a warranty issue for lets say a messed up saddle bag hinge and they denied it because they pulled the sidecover and saw a PC. If you are really worried about it just unplug the PC and take it off when you take the bike in. What they don't see......

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
8-Ball said:
My dealer told me that if any Harley Service Dept. finds a power commander in any vehicle, it is to report your VIN number to the MoCo and warranty will be disallowed in a national database.

"national database"..? I certainly don't know for certain, but I'm skeptical that MOCO has their act together to actually have anything such as this.

SERT - any changes to the ECM, outside of the standard dealer flashes for stage 1, 2, et al, will affect factory warranty.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Antonio Pendejo said:
If you are really worried about it just unplug the PC and take it off when you take the bike in. What they don't see......
If you pull up to the dealers with a modified build and a stock ECM, not only would they void your warranty, they would probably question your intelligence.

·
Registered
786 Posts
csoday said:
If you pull up to the dealers with a modified build and a stock ECM, not only would they void your warranty, they would probably question your intelligence.
Depends on what you mean by modified. I would imagine there are quite a few stock and stage 1 bikes running a DFO or PC.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
05fatty said:
"national database"..? I certainly don't know for certain, but I'm skeptical that MOCO has their act together to actually have anything such as this.

SERT - any changes to the ECM, outside of the standard dealer flashes for stage 1, 2, et al, will affect factory warranty.
Harley DOES have a national data base. While out in Co one of the Techs brought my bike up by inputting the VIN. He was able to tell if the 10,000 mile services had been performed. He could also see all the mods done by authorized Harley dealers. They also installed a SERT without affecting my 6 year warranty because the mod wuz performed by an authorized dealer.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how do you get a 6 year warranty and what does it cover?

I've got an extended warranty for 3 years for the engine and gearbox. The rest is for 2 years.

/Dan B

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Dan B said:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how do you get a 6 year warranty and what does it cover?

I've got an extended warranty for 3 years for the engine and gearbox. The rest is for 2 years.

/Dan B
When I purchased the scoot ('03 Ultra Anniversary Edition) I bought an additional warranty thru the selling dealer, not H-D. The company it is underwritten thru is located in Denver, Co. You could buy 1 thru 6 additional years. Covers all non-wearable items including all switches and electronics. I've used it once so far. '03's only came with a 1 year factory warranty.......

·
Registered
460 Posts
8-Ball said:

I'll bet if you call Harley directly and asked if a Power Comander will void your warrenty, your going to get a different answer.:whistle: ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
PC & warranty

My 2001 ultra 77500 mi warrranty till 02-28-06 ...Pc from git go with stage 2 95in [email protected] mi thrust washers on wheels went bad (new wheels) no problem with [email protected] mi cams started flaking (new cams) no problem with PC...to disallow warranty you must prove PC caused problem..lean run and hole in piston or scuffed piston OK but not complete void.:nono:

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno guy :cheers:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
WOW! I must be a lucky dude! While my bike was under warranty, I was at three different dealers for 3 different issues in 3 different states. It is obvious that I have a V&H ProPipe(voids warranty?) and it's obvious that I have a PC(voids warranty?). I must have found the only dealers in the nation that don't know about reporting to the "national database" and, they all honored my warranty to boot!! Lucky Me!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just had a ECM go bad warranty voided because bike had a PC, Called the MoCo said there ECM’s rarely go bad is all the proof they need to void the warranty. Contacted Dynojet they advised me to take it to a dealer that installs Power Commanders as they will most likely look the other way as they should. To late for me as they already have my bike on record. So I guess if the dealer installs it you should be ok, but if your on the road somewhere good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Search the fourms, there was a posting of a law the basicly stats that MoCo or any company would have to prove that the item in question caused the failure of the part to void your warrenty. There is all kinds of aftermarket fuel injection stuff for cars and you don't here about them voiding the warrenties!

Speaking only for myself, I would just put it on and be done with it. Like said above call some different dealers and ask what there opions are on it but make sure you speak to the service manager.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Wonder how this would go.....Dealer says..."not under warranty" you go to the showroom and count how many new bikes have SE II slip ons, SE a/c's, Thunder headers...etc.. (counted a bunch at my local dealer..to my amazement) A $10,000.00 fine per VIN for emissions tampering.
Ask the dealer AGAIN if he's sure it's not covered....Cause you saw what must surely be "used bikes" for sale with emissions tampering on the show room floor and you just know THEY would never do a thing that would jeopardize their franchise. Gulp !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kind of hard to complain to the government that I put a device on my bike to circumvent there regs, probably have me sign a complaint, then use it as evidence against me, and slap one of those $10,000 fines on me. Just wanted to pass along that it does happen, the Moco has to approve or disapprove any warranty work, and does have a database to keep track of all work done on your bike.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
turbotc said:
I'll bet if you call Harley directly and asked if a Power Comander will void your warrenty, your going to get a different answer.:whistle: ;)
WHAT!!?? You can actually get through that endless routine of "Press 'x' for 'y', Press 'a' for 'z', etc." and reach someone?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Roadrunner...

Did you take your bike to one of your local dealerships? Try looking elsewhere. You might find people who know what they're talking about and who'll be interested in fixing your problems, not selling t-shirts and chrome doo-dads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts