V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kuryakyn ISO grips and pegs... Are they metal or plastic? Can the rubber inserts be removed? I don't want chrome, would rather have them powdercoated black. Is this possible? Thanks in advance...

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
The rubber in the pegs is replaceable, but I don't know about the grips. Anything is possible, how much are you willing to pay to make it happen?? :whistle:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
They are metal and can be powdercoated. A local has his done in black. I know Kuryakyn makes some iso grips in black for the *** bikes. Might want to check to see if they are making them for Harleys.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geezer-Glide said:
The rubber in the pegs is replaceable, but I don't know about the grips. Anything is possible, how much are you willing to pay to make it happen?? :whistle:
Willing to pay what it takes to get it done... :) I assume the rubber in the grips is glued in, so they should be able to pop out. As long as I don't mess up the rubber, I should be able to glue them back on after the grips are powdercoated (it thats possible). Goes back to the question of if they are metal or chrome looking plastic. Thanks...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Call Kuryakyn and ask them. If they are metal, and you can buy new rubbers for the grips, then it can be done. Start with Kuryakyn.

You could powder coat them yourself with the Sears home powder coater and easy bake oven.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
The rubber is not glued in. Essentially, the entire grip is rubber with just the metal shell. I'm not sure how to describe it, but basically there's an upper and a lower half to the rubber pieces. You can remove each "half" and that will leave you with the shell. The footpegs are even easier: remove the bolt at the end of the peg and the rubber will come right out.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stratslingr77 said:
The rubber is not glued in. Essentially, the entire grip is rubber with just the metal shell. I'm not sure how to describe it, but basically there's an upper and a lower half to the rubber pieces. You can remove each "half" and that will leave you with the shell. The footpegs are even easier: remove the bolt at the end of the peg and the rubber will come right out.
I think i understand what your talking about. How do you get the rubber out of the grips? Is it fairly easy, or a PITA? Are they accessable by taking the end cap off or something like that? Thanks again...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
petrock said:
I think i understand what your talking about. How do you get the rubber out of the grips? Is it fairly easy, or a PITA? Are they accessable by taking the end cap off or something like that? Thanks again...
You are going to have to take the grips off, which will probably destroy the rubber, at least on the clutch side.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8-Ball said:
You are going to have to take the grips off, which will probably destroy the rubber, at least on the clutch side.
I haven't even bought the grips yet. As long as removing the rubber from new grips won't destroy the rubber, then I think I'm all set... :) Thanks...

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
A local indy shop I use had a set powdercoated. They look great! The bad thing is the plastic (believe it's plastic anyway) on the throttle grip has to be destroyed and replaced. Believe that piece is only around $6 tho.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
We were considering putting them on my Train, but I think it would be too much black. I like the small amounts of chrome highlights I have thru-out the bike. When I do the 98" kit, I think I'll have the jugs diamond cut.

·
Dues are Paid
124 Posts
petrock said:
I haven't even bought the grips yet. As long as removing the rubber from new grips won't destroy the rubber, then I think I'm all set... :) Thanks...
On a new set (that has not been installed) the rubber pulls right out. And is very easy to re-insert.

Tom

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Tx_Outlaw said:
A local indy shop I use had a set powdercoated. They look great! The bad thing is the plastic (believe it's plastic anyway) on the throttle grip has to be destroyed and replaced. Believe that piece is only around $6 tho.
Those look great. Which plastic part are you talking about? Do you mean the part with the groves that the throttle cables connect to the grip?

I have the grips, but just haven't had time to find a powdercoater in my area. Plus I'm moving in at the end of this month, so money's a little tight.

Tx_Outlaw said:
We were considering putting them on my Train, but I think it would be too much black. I like the small amounts of chrome highlights I have thru-out the bike.
I agree, don't over do it. Too much black is just as bad as too much chrome. With the blacked out fork sliders, triple trees and handle bars, it would be a little too much black if the grips were done too. If the bars were chrome, then it would look good... Thats what I'm doing on my bike...

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Yes, it's the plastic part for the throttle cables. The pictures aren't the greatest, but people should be able to get an idea from them. I did like the fact of them keeping the trim ring chrome. If the bike was red, blue, green or whatever color, I'd consider getting that ring in one of those colors.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,853 Posts
I had a new (never installed) set done at the first of this past April. No muss, no fuss, no damaged parts. The rubbber in each grip is two pieces, split longitudinally. A little twist and tweak and out they come. On the throttle side, the cable retainer has to come off first, but it's not a problem.

Blasted the chrome and put a textured black powdercoat on. Came out really well. We powdercoated the end caps too and just left the trim rings chrome.

The only down side is that I crashed Ol' Rosie on 9 April and destroyed the right one. Coincidence? You make the call.

Seriously though, although this is a minor point, pay attention the the positioning of the rubber pads before you glue/screw the grips down. This affects looks and feel. I played with the right one to get the pads in a comfortable position at about 60 MPH (my most usual cruise speed), then made the left grip match the right one in the idle/off position.

Also, I have an FXR, so there's an air valve in the end of the left handlebar. There are two points here-
1)The ISO grip end caps come off to access the valve, but I didn't want to fool with that. We drilled a conical hole thru the end cap to access the valve w/o removing the cap. The conical shape kept the hole tight and neat around the valve stem, and also was big enough to get a gage or pump on the valve stem.
2)The ISO grips are longer than the stock grips on FXRT/P bars, so we put an extended length valve stem in to bring the valve stem end back out to the end of the grip.

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts