V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the ness teardrop mirror for my Night Train. The problem is that I want to keep the black theme going and the Ness mirror only comes in chrome. Oh ya, I plan on running a left mirror only and junking the right mirror completely. I have a habbit of not trusting my mirrors and I normally look over my shoulder anyway (I need the mirror for legal reasons).

So, if I send out the mirror to a company that powdercoats, can they do it without breaking the actual mirror? Or would I be better off scuffing up the chrome with sandpaper and painting the mirror assembly myself with black paint (covering up the mirror part with tape)?

I would just call a powdercoater, but hey, I have you fine people to help me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
heat it up and pry the mirror out with 2 thin bladed screwdrivers working around the perimeter. If it breaks,after coating take it to a glass shop and have them cut you a new one and stick it in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Definitely powder coat. Much more durable. I've had a bunch of chrome on my done in black. Don't you have a local powder coater you could actually talk to? That would be my first shot. If you want, I could ask my guy and see what he says.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Two problems powdercoating mirrors, both caused from the heat in the curing process. The adhesive holding the mirror will likely release, and the coating on the back of the glass will melt and distort the image.
Geezerglide is correct about removing the glass.

"How much do you have to sand the chrome before you can powder coat it?"
The powdercoater will (should anyway) bead blast it prior to coating.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news! I just ordered my left side Ness mirror from a local Indy shop (cheaper than any catalog and way cheaper then Ness) and asked them about taking apart the mirror.

I was told that a local glass shop that speacializes in mirror and glass repair will be able to remove the mirror from the housing at a very minimal fee. Also, if they break the mirror while removing it, they will cut me an exact replica.

Now I can send it off to get it powdercoated or Black chromed/black nickel plated. Which one to choose? hmmm.......:huh:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
booner said:
Two problems powdercoating mirrors, both caused from the heat in the curing process. The adhesive holding the mirror will likely release, and the coating on the back of the glass will melt and distort the image.
Geezerglide is correct about removing the glass.

"How much do you have to sand the chrome before you can powder coat it?"
The powdercoater will (should anyway) bead blast it prior to coating.

Booner and G. Glide are correct. I've been doing small batches of Powder coating in my barn for a long time. All of the combustible items such as glue, paper backing, rubber, etc. have to come off. Powder coating will work only on metal, unless there is a base material other than metal that will withstand 450 degrees F. for an hour or so. I've only done metal to date, things like horn covers and risers, etc.

Remove the mirrors and the P.C. company will do a light bead blast on the chrome and you'll have a nice set of mirrors, indeed.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I might suggest learning to use the mirror(s)--they might save your life.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dhortho1 said:
I might suggest learning to use the mirror(s)--they might save your life.
I understand what you are saying, but listen to this. Not only do I check my mirror(s), I also look over each shoulder just to make sure it is clear before I make a lane change. I dont trust my mirror(s) soley. Looking over my shoulder after a mirror check is what will save me from being run over, not just a mirror check only. Think about it, these mirrors are so small, even the big mirrors are small and you cant see everything with them.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Trackstar--I agree with you, "looking over my shoulder"--a head check is a very important part of lane changes, etc. But equally important is what's in the mirror. The point is, it takes both--a look into the mirror(s) and a look over the shoulder or head check. The mirror doesn't give you all the information about what is going on behind you and neither does a head check (you can't turn your head back far enough to visualize what all is back there--that's what a mirror does--it gives you additional information). You check your mirror(s) and then look over your shoulder--that's fine but you will soon have one less mirror, the one on the right. No doubt the bike will look neater and cooler with one less mirror--just not safer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts