V-Twin Forum banner

powder coating rims?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jethro 
#1 ·
I would really like to get my front wheel rim and hub powder coated black does anybody know anyone that does that kind of work that wouldnt break it off in me on price I would want to have wheel relaced with chrome spokes. I have local guy that I have been using but I dont know how to relace and just dont know if he could do rim with all the holes for the spokes.

thanks and MERRY CHRISMAS

Dont forget the reason for the season

#7 ·
jethro said:
I would really like to get my front wheel rim and hub powder coated black does anybody know anyone that does that kind of work that wouldnt break it off in me on price I would want to have wheel relaced with chrome spokes. I have local guy that I have been using but I dont know how to relace and just dont know if he could do rim with all the holes for the spokes.

thanks and MERRY CHRISMAS

Dont forget the reason for the season
LOL i called a local shop today. Total charge for powdercoat, new spokes, relace and true as well as mount on the bike was roughly $!000. Now the irony is he informed me he had a set of black rims on the floor and it would be the same price-roughly $1000- if i traded my stock rims for the black ones. I always thought it should be about 1/2 price- i swear i have seen that for fat boy rims-send your fat boy rims and $500 to receive a chrome polished set of fatboy rims.
Am i wrong to think that is NOT a good deal? Oh yeah an the local HD shop quoted me 4 hours labor to change out my rims on the bike- just mount/align the spoked rims

#8 ·
I finally got it all done, did most of it myself. I got a lift from a friend and pulled off wheels only thing to worry about is the belt tighteners on rear wheel just drive out axl and when you go back count how many times you untightened the bolt and tighten it same amount. Took out spokes with bolt cutters had rim and hub powder coated. I hav solid back wheel like a fatboy just did it opposite of a nighttrain. Got another wheel from a buddy and relaced wheel on my own by copying other wheel pattern, went with billet stainless pearl spokes they look killer. Really it was easyer than you think, then had a local dirt bike guy true it up and mount tire for 45 bucks all went back like a snap. Man I love the look of the front wheel. :clap: did have to have a guy pull bearings out of front hub my rear had the old style bearings just repacked and replaced seal. All total 125 for spokes about 60 powder coat and 45 to true. 5 bucks or so for seals looks I get from buddys priceless

#13 ·
Looks very sharp, almost got it looking like a Night Train, I'm guessing that's the goal...

#14 ·
Thanks I get the Night Train thing a lot, but not really I like the motor of the standard and how it flows with the traney and the back wheel. I like a nice balance of shiny black and chrome and the silver of the motor the only thing left is to do the rocker box covers then maybe hang new tins off the front and out back but Im leaving the tank just like it is.
thanks ~!Awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.