V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My powder coater called me, told me he cannot find any flat black powder coat (in a quality suitable for MC frames). Can someone help me track some down? I have my frame in to him, its already sand-blasted, so time is of the essence. Thanks!

Bot

·
Registered
29 Posts
???? don't take this the wrong way but i can't beleive that your coater told you that they cannot find the single most common color in the world. every powder distributor carries several differant flat blacks. what kind of powder is he looking for (tgic,urathane,hybrid,epoxy, what?). we have never told a customer that we cannot find a color. there are several places that will even custom match auto paint in any formula you want. i don't understand why your coater cannot find some, call tiger drylac and it can be there next day. that just sound fishy to me...

steve

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for verifying what I suspected.

He isn't a powder coater, per se'. They have a fabrication shop, they do industrial powder coating in the course of their work. He and his dad (owners) do the MC frames, and car frames on the "side", off the books. I shoulda ran.

He wasn't there when I brought the frame in, but his dad was, and he tried to sell me on the industrial black they use for their normal industrial customers. He probably had hundreds of pounds of the crap (shiny black) in house. I insisted on flat black.

I think he is trying to get me to buy my own color, or is trying to get me to believe I am ordering something special.

Dang, Western Kentucky, eh? Crap, you will be doing my work henceforth, if I have anything else. Im in Northern KY. If only I'd known.

I plan on picking up the frame Saturday, done or not. We'll see what happens.

Why can't ANYTHING be simple?!!!

Thanks again for the information.

BTW- I e-mailed him your response... it'll either motivate him or piss him off. Do I care?

~Bot

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Bot said:
My powder coater called me, told me he cannot find any flat black powder coat (in a quality suitable for MC frames). Can someone help me track some down? I have my frame in to him, its already sand-blasted, so time is of the essence. Thanks!

Bot
This company is a manufacturer of coatings http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.