V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pay Up!
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a "Customer Appreciation" Rally and saw a guy in his 40s with a LARGE POW patch on his vest. What is the prerequisite for wearing one of these patches? Anyone who "gives a damn" about the POWs? Or anyone who thinks its "COOL"???!!! :huh:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I remember family members of pow/mia wore them. It never hurts to ask. I wear one but I feel for them but I quess since I grew up in the service (army brat) and being a vet, it has meaning to me.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
never having been military I can't imagine wearing one to be "cool". I even felt wierd when I joined the PGR. I hope he was wearing it on behalf of his father or brother.

·
Pay Up!
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred1369 said:
never having been military I can't imagine wearing one to be "cool". I even felt wierd when I joined the PGR. I hope he was wearing it on behalf of his father or brother.

Yes, I'd wear a small patch or pin for those that have sacrificed, but not a whole back patch... That's just me!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's not a patch; it's an idea. It's about never forgetting... as long as we have unaccounted for POWs and MIAs. Anyone who cares to wear the patch can do so, not just former POWs or their families.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Skivvy9r said:
It's not a patch; it's an idea. It's about never forgetting... as long as we have unaccounted for POWs and MIAs. Anyone who cares to wear the patch can do so, not just former POWs or their families.
EXACTLY !

And the more people that wear the POW MIA image, the more the general public will see it and remember the brothers in arms that our government left behind.

I wear the large image on the back of my jacket, it honestly never crossed my mind that someone would think to ask why I was wearing it. I've always thought it was self explanatory..... just like my Vietnam Unit patch and several other 'Nam related patches and insignia.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Skivvy9r said:
Skivvy is right on the money:

"YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" is what the patch means..and many patches have those words in the stitching. Nothing about being "cool" or having some "prerequisite". If you want to show respect for those who haven't come home yet....wear the patch proudly. I wear a small one on the front of my vest and I have a front plate on my truck. "Coming Home" means identifying repatriated remains or, by the grace of God, bringing a comrade home alive.

These figures are several years old but give an idea of how many sons of America are still unaccounted for. There is a wealth of information on the internet.

The 'official' unaccounted for figures are as follows:
-2,093 Americans are still missing and unaccounted for from the Vietnam War:
-Vietnam - 1,564 (North, 569; South, 993);
-Laos - 448
-Cambodia - 75
-Peoples Republic of China territorial waters - 8.
-490 Americans have been accounted for from the Vietnam War.

Korean War: 8,139 remain unaccounted for, 42 possible remains returned, 4 identifications.

World War II - Over 78,000 remain unaccounted for.

Wear the patch proudly.

Semper Fi,
Steve
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
that one was always tough for me until i found a patch that had the pow/mia emblem and said i wasnt there but i still care. lots of people put crap on there vest they have no claim to. but whatever, these days anything goes

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Pow/mia

I have it painted on my fairing my tanks and side covers in hopes of reminding anyone that there are many unaccounted for and the numbers are climbing in this war. Matt Maupin OHIO, Byron Fouty MICH. Alex Jiminez MASS. are just the latest and we as a country can never forget them even when they come home.
I am not a vet but I support them all, I was classified 4F in 1975 When we forget our veterans we are in big trouble as far as I am concerened.
THANK YOU to all our soldiers past and present!!!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, I guess i am one that wears it on the front of my vest without deserving it. I have no military service background. Technically ,seeing my half brothers name is on panel 19 E his was not pow / mia. So the folded flag patch I wear is ok.
Like a few have said just a reminder that there are folks still unacounted for and forever there is people that will not forget. Wear it proudly ,I personally fly the pow / mia flag below the US flag in my yard every holiday.
Just my two
BC{salute(

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Go ask him. Maybe he grew up without a father or uncle or older brother. If he is wearing it, there is a reason. It is not like it has to be earned.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
bcnasty...there doesn't need to be any connection to the military, past or present, to wear the POW/MIA patch. It's not a matter of "deserving" to wear it. You lost a half-brother in Vietnam and that is all the more reason to wear it. As for the flag at your home...why not fly the POW/MIA every day?

Hold on for a second while I go out back......the Blue Angels just flew right over our house...returning to Pensacola after a show somewhere around the country. They come right over the house single file...and then break left, one by one, to line up with the runway. What a great sound.

Fly that flag bcnasty.....

·
Opinions Vary
161 Posts
There's an old lady that frequents a local bar here.
She's a nice old lady, but she has this annoying habit of calling people out all the time on what they're wearing.
Like the dude with a harley shirt - "Do you own a Harley??"
and the girl with a corona bag "Do you drink Corona??"

Maybe I could introduce you . . . .
:corn: :whatever:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
jonrober said:
I didn't get to ask. I was with my family and he was walking away. I'm not criticizing, but merely curios and made me think. I'm also a veteran --Post Vietnam era.
me too, 83-03 and I have one. On my 1st ship we had a lot of Vietnam era vets and the best boss I ever had was a Marine and did two tours over there. These men where the ones that made me grow up from a punk kid out in the world for the 1st time. Any one with over 8 years in when I joined was a Nam era vet, it means a lot to them and they mean a lot to me, show I show my support.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Steveusmc,

Thanks for posting those numbers. It is very sobbering to look at. I had no idea that many are unaccounted for.

steveusmc said:
Skivvy is right on the money:

"YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" is what the patch means..and many patches have those words in the stitching. Nothing about being "cool" or having some "prerequisite". If you want to show respect for those who haven't come home yet....wear the patch proudly. I wear a small one on the front of my vest and I have a front plate on my truck. "Coming Home" means identifying repatriated remains or, by the grace of God, bringing a comrade home alive.

These figures are several years old but give an idea of how many sons of America are still unaccounted for. There is a wealth of information on the internet.

The 'official' unaccounted for figures are as follows:
-2,093 Americans are still missing and unaccounted for from the Vietnam War:
-Vietnam - 1,564 (North, 569; South, 993);
-Laos - 448
-Cambodia - 75
-Peoples Republic of China territorial waters - 8.
-490 Americans have been accounted for from the Vietnam War.

Korean War: 8,139 remain unaccounted for, 42 possible remains returned, 4 identifications.

World War II - Over 78,000 remain unaccounted for.

Wear the patch proudly.

Semper Fi,
Steve
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
To be honest, I had no idea there were so many either. Here are a couple of links to American Cemeteries overseas...this first one is a list of all of them. You can click on any of them and a picture will come up as will some stats about it.
AMAZING....... http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries.php

This is the Battle Monuments Commission page in general. You can search around. http://www.abmc.gov/home.php

After a certain date...no Americans could be disinterred and returned home. Very interesting. The cemeteries are maintained in immaculate condition.
Note there are ELEVEN cemeteries in France alone. We fought hard for that country's sake.

I believe the cemeteries also have the names of all MIAs listed on the walls.
THOUSANDS .....

The more I read, the more I think EVERY American and every public building should should fly the flag or wear the patch. It's a personal thing of course.

God Bless and Semper Fi,
Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts