V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been chipping away at my local Indy buddy for some time on selling me his rigid roller he's had in his shop corner for years. Its a full roller with a four speed in it.

I've always wanted an old school panhead chopper, honestly I've always built the bike (in my mind of course) around the old high rise king/queen seats haha and nothing goes better with that than a panhead IMO so that's what I've been stuck on planning.

He doesn't have a pan for me but said he does have a Shovel bottom end and I could run STD (I think that was the brand he named) panhead heads that bolt right up to shovel and have the better valves and exhaust flanges.

Anyone have any experience with this? Obviously this isn't even a done deal yet but I cant sit still in life so I'm always planning the next "project" either house, toys, etc haha

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
DO IT!!!!!!!! Think the heads would be fine I've seen them around. They make shovel style evo heads also. I was checking those out myself for a chopper build. I have two brand new cases with MSO's that need a home just sitting on the shelf. One a polished Delkron the other an S&S both standard bore cases would be perfect candidates for a build. I think a panhead would be a sweet chopper with the King/queen seat. Would love to follow that build so do it

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, baby steps. I have to get him to agree to let it go first. No real attachment but he doesn't "need" to sell anything so he tends not to. Hell he has 9 or so FXRs in his shop that are his in all different set ups and stages. One is a knuckle top end shovel bottom end he built that just won a local bike show. Hes the one that got me into FXRs in the first place back when I was a young punk smashing a bagger with loud music haha

He has a set of Pan cases that are from Harley from '73 but VIN is early 60s (non generator style so what ever years those were). I guess back then you could get new cases stamped with your old VIN from Harley. Anyway he plans to put that in his next FXR build so Im hoping he wont need the extra funds to bad and let the rigid go cheap so I have money to actually build it

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
A company called STD made a Panhead with a dual bolt pattern and Shovelhead intake tracts. I have them on my 93" Panhead chopper. Long out of production. S&S and V-Twin offer new Panheads , but I'm not sure about them.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
He has a set of Pan cases that are from Harley from '73 but VIN is early 60s (non generator style so what ever years those were). I guess back then you could get new cases stamped with your old VIN from Harley. Anyway he plans to put that in his next FXR build so Im hoping he wont need the extra funds to bad and let the rigid go cheap so I have money to actually build it
All Panhead motors ('48-'65) used generator cases , so did the first 4 years ('66-'69) of Shovelheads.

Using '63-'69 generator cases or post-70 alternator Shovel cases will require outside oiler heads ('63-'65) as the blocks do not feed rocker oil thru the cylinders the same way '48-'62 Pan cases do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts