V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Harley Davidson bike owner and enthusiast, I've often wondered what Harley would do for an all-electric bike; how they would create a signature type drive system comparable to their patented engines they have. This concept might give them an idea.

Imagine an electric drive motor that uses plungers instead of the tradition rotor/stator type. Such technology isn't new. It can be seen in the majority of vehicle starter motors where the solenoid operates on this technology. An electric current is applied to the solenoid, which causes a magnetic propulsion effect on a metal plunger inside the solenoid driving the plunger to the opposite end of its cylinder. If HD can develop a strong enough system based on this technology, they might have their unique, signature style electric motor. There is the possibility of it being more efficient as well. Think of a V-twin electric plunger type engine where the fuel is electricity driving pistons inside their cylinders instead of fossil-fuel.

http://goo.gl/81vz0

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I can't imagine any electric motor that's going to give you the sound of a gas engine. Does a total electric engine even need an exhaust? I just hope there's enough fuel to last the rest of my riding days. I can't see myself riding an electric hog.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
2,040 Posts
I saw a Harley Electric bike at Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley a few years ago..
Looked like it was from the late 60's or early 70's...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't imagine any electric motor that's going to give you the sound of a gas engine. Does a total electric engine even need an exhaust? I just hope there's enough fuel to last the rest of my riding days. I can't see myself riding an electric hog.
There's been a lot of talk about electric vehicles needing to produce sound because of the danger of vehicle/pedestrian mergers...lol, and one possible way of doing it is to incorporate a speaker system capable of making enough sound to warn pedestrians of oncoming vehicles. HD could simply do the very same thing. If the gov mandates this sound-producing feature for electric vehicles, HD would have to do something to accommodate for it if they do indeed produce an electric bike. They could reproduce their patented exhaust note on an electric bike that features all of the cool uniqueness of their current Harleys.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I went to your link, keep the electric contraption, I'll take the brunet seating on it, I wounder what her carbon foot print is like...:hystria:

·
Registered
256 Posts
There's been a lot of talk about electric vehicles needing to produce sound because of the danger of vehicle/pedestrian mergers...lol, and one possible way of doing it is to incorporate a speaker system capable of making enough sound to warn pedestrians of oncoming vehicles. HD could simply do the very same thing. If the gov mandates this sound-producing feature for electric vehicles, HD would have to do something to accommodate for it if they do indeed produce an electric bike. They could reproduce their patented exhaust note on an electric bike that features all of the cool uniqueness of their current Harleys.
I was thinking the same thing! Just have the throttle control the motor sound sample like a toy only louder through stereo speakers facin forward and back:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I was a kid, I had a Varoom on my bicycle.
Didn't do **** but add weight and make noise....but it did sound cool, at the time, anyway...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Put a card in the spokes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts