V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be picking up a 98 Fatboy. It has approx 23,000 miles. This thing is loaded with chrome. Billet wheels, chrome swing arm, chrome covers, chrome controls, chrome forks, big head light, driving lights, pipes. Its owned by a Harley Salesman and he claims all work was done by the harley dealership. Price was 12,999 and I have talked hime down to 11,500. Seems like a decent price to me. He said he has all the reciepts for $7800 in chrome and chrome work. Does this seem like a fair price? Thanks

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
According to kelly book in my area that bike is worth $13325. It does sound like a good deal...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have talked hime down to 11,500.
That sounds like a good price here.

Don't forget about charges like title transfer, tags, etc. Even though it's a used bike, the title transfer alone would include an extra $748 in tax here in MN. Sales tax is set at 6.5% EVERY TIME the bike changes owners, for the life of the frame. I've never understood why this applied only to motorcycles. On cars it disappears after they're 10 years old.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think the obvious thing to mention is how does it run. all the chrome in the world on a bike that's not running or not dependable isn't a good choice. maybe others can give you advice on what to look for mechanically on the bike. It does sound like a fair price though.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Ka-Ka said:
That sounds like a good price here.

Don't forget about charges like title transfer, tags, etc. Even though it's a used bike, the title transfer alone would include an extra $748 in tax here in MN. Sales tax is set at 6.5% EVERY TIME the bike changes owners, for the life of the frame. I've never understood why this applied only to motorcycles. On cars it disappears after they're 10 years old.
no one in wis that I know puts down the actual price they payed on the form..its always $100 or less

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Evo Softails aren't as smooth as the balanced TC Softails. I'd consider holding out for a TC if you plan on doing any distance riding.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NH is tax free. You will pay town tax when registering, but that is not something I would consider when making a purchase. The last bike I had was only $31.00 to register.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Maddogs700srx said:
Well, I did it. I should get the bike tomorrow. $11,500.00 seemed like a decent price for what I was getting.
Congrats! Post a picture if you will! :Banadance

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm a fan of buying things after people spend the money on it. I've never been worried about miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked it up today.

It runs like a top from what I can tell. Its only about 30 Degrees here. The motor had alittle work done at the end of last year. Adjustable push rods, tappetts, a new cam, and some other stuff I can't remember.All work was preformed by the Harley Dealership complete with reciepts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts