V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one experience a cam bearing failure due to the roller bearings installed in the first tc88 motors. i have a stock 99 flhtci that picked up a new noise today while riding and its not one of those little nuisances like i've heard of its major. i have just over 26k on this motor that i've had for about 3k miles now and it never made this noise. very noticeable at idle.just figuring worse case senario would be the cam bearing issue i have heard so much about . any input would be appreciated.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Wonder if stethoscope would tell you anything? Have to know what to listen for. I taking out of my bowles too. There is a reason why they changed to roller.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Ya its not to hard to do. Biggest pain is getting exhaust off, atleast on bagger.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
bseeton1141 said:
any one experience a cam bearing failure due to the roller bearings installed in the first tc88 motors. i have a stock 99 flhtci that picked up a new noise today while riding and its not one of those little nuisances like i've heard of its major. i have just over 26k on this motor that i've had for about 3k miles now and it never made this noise. very noticeable at idle.just figuring worse case senario would be the cam bearing issue i have heard so much about . any input would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm not quite clear on your statement. The early TC 88 motors had ball bearings on the outer front and rear cam bearings. Are you saying that yours have been changed to the rear roller and now make noise or are you saying that your bike is original and makes noise?

Either way, it's time to take a look inside of the cam chest area. Harley makes a repair kit that contains all of the bearings, O-rings, tensioners and gaskets for a changeover to the new roller rear bearing. Unfortunately, the kit has the hated INA inner bearings so you should install a set ot B-148 Torringtons while you are in there. You could probably use a new set of chains, too. You will also be needing some special tools.

If your intention is to use stock cams, I would get a new or 0 mileage takeout set. They sell on eBay for extremely low prices.

Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have seen the front cam bearing fail so it is possible

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Otto said:
I have seen the front cam bearing fail so it is possible

While it's possible, it's extremely rare for the outer front ball bearing to fail. In fact, the gear drives utilize two ball bearings.

The rear bearing has much more loading since it holds the chain drive (or gear drive) sprocket/gear.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Gears use balls because the clerance are tighter then roller. You don't need rollers becuase gears don't have the side load. Atleast that what they claim.

Makes sense you can affrd more play with chain, with tensioner, then with gears.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it was the STATOR!!!!!!

the noise turned out to be the stator which in true harley fashion has the same issues on early model twin cams as did the cam bearings. can they build a dam bike thats will go down the road with out having to fix every fkn part on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
My '99 is on its fourth stator. Did you do the upgrade to the higher output?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
BigD said:
My '99 is on its fourth stator. Did you do the upgrade to the higher output?
i'm considering compu-fires 55565 3 pase system 40 amp http://www.steelthundercc.com/chargingsystems.html it seems to be a smoother system that would be very dependable and have a hell of alot better longevity than any i've read up on so far,but it goes on a harley so it might last 1 day or 1oo years who knows!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Early TC88 Touring Stator
If you have a fuel injected touring or police model made between 1999 and Jan. 2001 beware. If your charging system hasn't gone belly up, it may sooner than you expect. The problem is that the stator used is for a 38 amp system, these bikes have a 45 amp system. How'd they do that? They put a beefier rotor with stronger magnets over the same stator used on both the 38 and 45 amp systems. The inevitable result is higher temperatures produced by the higher output which will kill the windings on the stator.
Harley is well aware of this problem since they put out a new upgraded stator (part #29987-99A) and Service Bulletin M-1111 explaining the problem. No there's no recall on this but if you have to change your stator, make sure you keep all your receipts just in case. What's worse is that H-D is still selling a kit to convert the 38 amp to the 45 amp with, you guessed it, the bigger rotor while you re-use the inadequate stator.

The so-called "New & Improved" stator... It appears to have thicker wire and a neater job on the windings. Replacing the stator isn't hard if you follow the repair manual and have the right tools.

You will also need to replace your Main circuit breaker, it is a 40 amp in these models, and when upgrading your stator to a 45 amp system will cause an open circuit at some point causing a "quit while riding" situation. The main breaker needs to be upgraded to a 50 amp.

The three service bulletins are M-1111 and M-1151, M1151-A

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
bseeton1141 said:
the noise turned out to be the stator which in true harley fashion has the same issues on early model twin cams as did the cam bearings. can they build a dam bike thats will go down the road with out having to fix every fkn part on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I understand that there has been a high mortality rate on some of the stators from various years, even as late as the TC's.

Honda, too had their problems. Many of the four-cylinder bikes from the 1980's had bad stators. This necessitated removing then engine so one could access the stator. That was a pain.

Also, the 1500 Hondas (1988 through 2000) were noted for extremely high failure rates of the OEM 45 amp alternators. I recall I replaced mine with a 90 amp Compufire unit which cured the problem at the expense of some extra vibration.

I wonder if HD and Honda had the same stator manufacturer. Hahahaha. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts