V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends, I just recently purchased a used 2015 Road Glide with 9700 miles. It seems to run and perform well except it seems to pull to the left a bit and requires a constant slight pressure on the right. Also I believe I can hear a "squeal" when going around a left curve (only, nothing on the right or straight). It sounds like its coming from the rear but It's hard to tell for sure. I know nothing about its history, but I purchased the bike in July 2019 and the inspection sticker had been expired since June of 2017 so I would assume the bike sat for at least a little over 2 years (if not 3). Nothing appears to be leaking from the bearings. Could these 2 symptoms be related ? ... indicate a bad wheel bearing(s) ? I know in a car, squealing that lessens or disappears on a curve is a tell tale sign of a bad wheel bearing, not certain a bike would be the same but it seems like common sense. Anyone else experienced something similar or possibly have another explanation ?

·
Registered
16,714 Posts
Check your brake caliper temps after a ride.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
rear wheel out of alignment? I saw alot of this cause issues over the years,,

since the bikes have only 1 wheel up front,, the bearings turn at the same speed irregardless of turns... fork misalignment,, internal tire defect

this happens on 4 wheeled vehicles for the causes mentioned, as well as align.ent issues, brake issues, drag from bearing play causing more friction on the affected brake rotor and several other causes...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Pretty much everything common has been covered. Bearings are not too expensive, even if you buy the puller/installer tools. Alignment has been covered a few times and can be done with simple tools like laser levels. Brakes shouldn't cause a pull, but might cause a noise. Also check axle torque to see if they are done up properly.

Only other thing would go back to alignment, and that could be worn out bushings and bearing in the swingarm. or worn out motor mount in the front. As new as that bike is, I'd hope the mounts and bushings were OK.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My Road King had the slight pull to the left. With the earlier frame, I was able to change alignment quite a bit but the pull remained, also remained through several tire changes. No change. I put everything I want to always have with me in the right saddle bag, tool kit, tire inflator and other not so heavy stuff, and while that is admittedly a "work around", it cost nothing and "cured" the problem. The whine/vibration in turns is almost always tire cupping. Gently rub your hand around the circumference of the tire in both directions, if you feel sharp edges on the tread pattern going one way but not the other, you have cupping and that makes the whine in turns. "Sharp" is relative, the rubber edges won't cut you, but you will feel some resistance to moving your hand in one direction, but not the other. Higher tire pressure slows the rate of cupping. I always run my pressure at the max value on the sidewall and it takes a lot of miles before I get that whine in turns, sometimes just about at the same time replacement is necessary. To the best of my knowledge, the cupping is just an irritation, no danger involved and all will be quiet again when you replace the rear tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts