V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a picture of my SE air filter after six months of use, they stopped using the K&N and went to this POS that's falling apart, why?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I had lots of surface rust on K&N. So n ot sure if any better. But it did look sound around the edges that would be sucked in.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I started a thread last year on that fine product
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56855
I replaced my 2nd se filter with a K&N Friday.The gasket on mine was much worse than yours but was 9 months old.There were also some holes starting to develop in the filter material itself just like before but not nearly as bad,about the size of a sharp pencil tip.We shall see how the K&N fairs.I've always used them on my mustangs and have no complaints with automotive applications.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
number1nole said:
I started a thread last year on that fine product
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56855
I replaced my 2nd se filter with a K&N Friday.The gasket on mine was much worse than yours but was 9 months old.There were also some holes starting to develop in the filter material itself just like before but not nearly as bad,about the size of a sharp pencil tip.We shall see how the K&N fairs.I've always used them on my mustangs and have no complaints with automotive applications.
Yes, you are correct about the holes in the material.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I just checked my POS SE AC and found it to still be sound, gaskets and filter material - getting pretty dirty since it's about 1 year and 9K old, but still servicible. However, it appears that some pretty large dirt particles could get through it. . .I did find something else interesting when checking/tightening, etc. this a.m. Never checked the tranny fluid before and dealer has changed it twice supposedly. It's full but the fluid is clear and I paid for SYN3 in the tranny which is not clear, at least in the bottle I have on the shelf. . . .

Lefty

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What breaks my balls is they charge $150 for this POS, come on MOCO defenders voice your opinions on this, where are you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dirty Jim said:
What breaks my balls is they charge $150 for this POS, come on MOCO defenders voice your opinions on this, where are you.
Might want to recheck your figures. The $150 is for the entire S/E kit which includes the back plate and filter and whatever else is needed to install it. A replacement filter is in the neighborhood of $40.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aztriker said:
Might want to recheck your figures. The $150 is for the entire S/E kit which includes the back plate and filter and whatever else is needed to install it. A replacement filter is in the neighborhood of $40.
Yea a plate and three studs, big deal 5 bucks, its still a A$$rape.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They're nice huh. I replaced mine two weeks ago with the k and n hd0800 because I had little holes developing,too. I was PISSED because you know where that element paper will wind up if it breaks loose. Called the dealer and was told filters were an accessory and not covered under any warranty. They sell you a defective product and realize it because they discontinue it, then tell you you're on your own with it. K and N has been in my F350 now for about 50,000 and is doing great. I expect I'll find the same on my bike in time.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Not sure if I want to get involved in this. But I do agree the kit seems pricey. Especially when you think how many they sell, its not some odd ball special made item. I bet around 25% of bikes got them.

I can see the filter being a wear item though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
berserker said:
Not sure if I want to get involved in this. But I do agree the kit seems pricey. Especially when you think how many they sell, its not some odd ball special made item. I bet around 25% of bikes got them.

I can see the filter being a wear item though.
I agree about them being a rip off. I was only clarifying that the filter was $40, not $150. My first one started going to pieces plus the center pulled out of the pot metal when tightening the bolt that holds the cover on, after about 5 or 6 months (don't remember the mileage but wasn't much). I puchased a second one as K&N hadn't released the HD-0800 yet as they were still tied into a licensing agreement with HD. As soon as I found out about them releasing it, I purchased the K&N and tossed the HD junk. Good filter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Help me out here, when I had the dealer do my stage 1 they did the new filter set-up and used a K&N filter, per the work order. Does HD sell two stage 1 filters? An HD and a K&N??? I figured I would change the airfilter for a new one every 5K miles as regular maintance?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
PitBull said:
Help me out here, when I had the dealer do my stage 1 they did the new filter set-up and used a K&N filter, per the work order. Does HD sell two stage 1 filters? An HD and a K&N??? I figured I would change the airfilter for a new one every 5K miles as regular maintance?
There are several versions of the HD SE element still at the dealerships. As already mentioned, stay away from the one with the blue rubber ring and the paper filtering media. K&N sells a direct replacement for the cone style SE element I believe their part# is HD 0800, this is the time tested washable element.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
DJ, if you still have any stock in the MOCO I would dump it now.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
timbo said:
DJ, if you still have any stock in the MOCO I would dump it now.
...and the bike too!

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
DJ, if you still have any stock in the MOCO I would dump it now. Not many people know it, but the physical deterioration of that particular air filter is actually one of the seven signs that the MOCO is about to crumble.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Yo, Jim, did you take the filter back to the dealer? Last I knew they were replacing the blue ones as they were a known problem. I'm sure with the relationship you've cultivated there they will probably buy you lunch to boot!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Ok let me get this straight.

The air filter with the blue rubber outer ring and white paper media is bad RIGHT?

What is the part number for the replacement K&N? I have always used K&N in my autos and trust them so I would like to use it in my bike (which is more important to me then my POS Chevy Cobalt).

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
BB06FLHX said:
Ok let me get this straight.

The air filter with the blue rubber outer ring and white paper media is bad RIGHT?

What is the part number for the replacement K&N? I have always used K&N in my autos and trust them so I would like to use it in my bike (which is more important to me then my POS Chevy Cobalt).
.........K&N sells a direct replacement for the cone style SE element I believe their part# is HD 0800, this is the time tested washable element.
Sold through various retail channels

By the way nice a/c cover, got the same with the 100th anniversary insert and matching horn cover.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Blue is bad, black is good, HD Charlotte took my blue one back and gave me a black one free. Seems to be some kind of known problem with the blue ones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts