V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are better and cheaper (for some) ways to get torque. I have been following along with most the build threads but I have chosen to go with an HTCC ported build. I have 05 Deluxe with 95" BB and I would like to go with gear drive cams appropriate for this build. Some of the choices are S&S 585 but kicks in at higher RPMs than ideal, Woods 5G, 6HG, or 8G but will they be harder on my valve train? The Redshift 557 was another option explained to me that the slightly lower lift was ideal for the maximize the flow of these heads and the duration seems right. I'm also planing on using roller rockers and forged supports and have SERT for tuning any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I like the SE257, some say it's only for 103"s but I've seen good reports with 95's also. It loves the HTCC CNC's. Of course it's not a GD.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
The equivalent of Chuck's preferred SE 257 cam is the Andrews 67G, very much the same grind but with gears. Need high flow heads and comp around 10.5 I was told and it's appears to be working very well on my 107".

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
http://www.msnusers.com/harleytecht...ssage=886580&LastModified=4675568504901057336
This thread offers a few counterpoints to the HTCC setup. IMO some of the GMR packages prefered by this forum of readers can offer better HP/dollar spent and equal quality.
On the Latus site there is a 203 camed 95" motor with small valved 06 heads ported by Baisley and with Bassani slip-ons making 100/106 with conservative compression. Now the kicker this is a MM efi motor
Others I have seen are 100/100 with the 98" kits and very mild heads. Rarely do 95" HTCC setups ported go beyond these levels and the mild builds I mention would be much more fun to ride as they have a much wider big fat torque band.
If you are hog tied to the HTCC setup do your homework because many others have been dissappointed unless they go to the extreme detail of blueprinting the quench area. The factory as-cast heads need to be hand fitted to get the benefits of the heads to work. The opinion I offer is a culmination of user results I have observed over the last 2 years on these boards.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
If you are hog tied to the HTCC setup do your homework because many others have been dissappointed unless they go to the extreme detail of blueprinting the quench area. The factory as-cast heads need to be hand fitted to get the benefits of the heads to work. .
He is using HTCC CNC heads, not the non-ported HTCC. They are different animals.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Of course the ports are different but the chambers are as-cast with both. The pistons some have observed deck heights of up to -.010 and quench distances out of the box of .080+. Machine work, the right thickness head gasket, and careful measuring can correct this.

·
Do'in the chicken dance
3,629 Posts
I ran cnc htcc heads in a 95incher with s&s 585's the cams are too long on the exhaust side you should look for a grind that has about if not the same specs on the exhaust as well as intake with around 240 degrees duration the woods tw6hg or tw400g would work much better as far as noise the 585's made it too...Those heads flow till .650 lift. Short duration high lift is the way to go...Another reason to stay short on duration is those heads are BIG on a 95 there made for 113's however they can be made to work quite well on smaller motors also get a .03 cometec head gasket for your squish....:chopper:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Have to agree with nw guy 4fun. The CNC version needs a lot of attention to detail and $$ to get the same power a ported set of stock heads can achieve. Also the springs are way overkill in CNC's for a street motor. The CNC's shine in a bulk cube motor, but seem soft on torque in a 95". I made the mistake of choosing these heads for a heavy bike, but like them now that I'm at 113". Not bashing these heads, but if one likes the SEheads, a set of SEperformance, flat top 95" and a S&S.570 cam set (known as the HIPPO build) along with a good 2 into 1 pipe would be my choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had heard all the good things about Wrenchs 98" kits on the forums and I still made my choice of the HTCC ported heads and other HD products. A lot of that came from the point that I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada and I'm either stuck with the dealer or Ebay. I have been assured that heads would be checked and or tweaked and not simply bolted on by the wrench at the dealership before I even decide on this route. So again I'm curious about the Redshift 557 or the best Woods cams 5g, 6hg and the 8g. The andrews 67g and 257's have more overlap they appear longer in the duration and I've read somewhere to avoid the longer duration on the exhaust side with type of build? Also SEDELUXE05 I've been following the manifold leak issue sorry for your luck man. My new heads HTCC ported heads are an '06' casting so I hope there are no issues and my wrench said that I don't need the HTCC manifold for the HTCC ported heads and that it is not spelled out the books?
In pursuit of 100/100
Thanks

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You could run a 585 and run 1.7 rockers on the intake side. That would give you a 615/585 and the extra on the intake side would really help you out. As far as the dealer TWEAKING THE HEAD??? I think you would be better just having them bolt them on and be done with it. Unless they have a flow bench and do head work?? I rather doubt that, Spring pack set up would be of great help as the springs are going to have too much seat psi for the cams you are looking at. You need 180 for most listed there, and that head will be closer to 200+ on the seat. That my friend is free hp lost to excessive seat psi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts