V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my heads ported (stage 2). Is it worth it to also port the throttle body and intake with my set up?

Thanks

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well the stock intake manifold is rather thin so there is very little porting done at the head/ manifold area. It is a good idea to check fitment of the intake to head once they are ported. You can do some clean up there. You could do that your self for free

Now boring the t-body is another process that can net you some gains. Without knowing what parts you are dealing with for the build unable to say yes it would be a good idea or not. We charge 275 for taper boring of the t-body and then blending that into the stock manifold.

For mild builds it may not be needed. A list of your upgrades would be helpful.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
T/Body

Boring them from 41mm-46.5mm yields a good gain.
We manufacture our own throttle plates here, and sure do a lot of it, and for other shops as well.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95 ci, 9.8:1, 37g, Se forged pistons , .030 gaskets, stage 2 heads with 1.9 intake valve, sert , bss staggered

Would just porting the tbody and intake yield gains without changing the butterfly size or am I wasting my money?

Thanks

HDWRENCH said:
Well the stock intake manifold is rather thin so there is very little porting done at the head/ manifold area. It is a good idea to check fitment of the intake to head once they are ported. You can do some clean up there. You could do that your self for free

Now boring the t-body is another process that can net you some gains. Without knowing what parts you are dealing with for the build unable to say yes it would be a good idea or not. We charge 275 for taper boring of the t-body and then blending that into the stock manifold.

For mild builds it may not be needed. A list of your upgrades would be helpful.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I think most would agree that you will see little or no gains without boring the t-body. The intake is very thin, and without enlarging the plate you are only creating another choke point. Scott do you have a dyno sheet on a before and after on a bored t-body?? I had one but cannot locate it at this moment. There is another thread on this very topic. I think if you are looking for gains then bore it. Or have it tuned and if you are happy then just ride the bike. You can always bore it later if you are looking for more.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
T/Body

No before/afters, but our EFI tuner has told us that he see's 3 hp on a stock bike before he starts the tuning process. 4-5 when across the board when complete.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Boring them from 41mm-46.5mm yields a good gain.
We manufacture our own throttle plates here, and sure do a lot of it, and for other shops as well.
scott, what year models are you referencing? 41 mm? what is stock size for 05? 06? 07?

thanks

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
T/body size

claydbal said:
scott, what year models are you referencing? 41 mm? what is stock size for 05? 06? 07?

thanks
I believe that 41.25 mm would be closer, but the pre, one-piece units, up to 06.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Is there a reduction of torque at lower rpms? How does the torque curve of a stock throttle body compare to a machined one?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Curve

According to our tuner, from bottom to top gains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts