V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S&S 124 carbed, has a popping in the exhuast as I slowly roll the throttle from idle, at about 1500 rpm it start to pop in the exhaust . Since it is the intermediate jet range am I rich or lean. The plugs look fine. Sorry I haven't taken the bowl off the check the jet size but I am assuming .032 to .036...I will check wjen the engine cools down. Any ideas?? Doc

·
Registered
973 Posts
warm it up, and while it's idling spray WD40 around the intake connections, especially at the head.

could be an exhaust leak, too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any update?
intermediate is .031 which is too lean, S&S recommends 032__036 for that engine...the main is 080 and is fine. I will try to call S&S tomorrow, I am thinking about an 032 intermediate install. The main is in the middle of the recommended range of 074---086

·
Registered
298 Posts
any mods?

Have you added anything, like a different exhaust or air cleaner or maybe a camshaft?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you added anything, like a different exhaust or air cleaner or maybe a camshaft?
NO....it is just as I bought the motor from a fellow was that was building a bike and got divorced in the process...I am thinking about an IST ignition for it. I think when I fatten the intermediate that much of the problem will be gone..if not I think perhaps an electrical issue. Doc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run a 031 in my stock 80" shovelhead. I would think that the .036 would be what you need. I also run a 074 main, in a super e. Sounds like the po got a carb that was on a stock bike and never changed the jets.

·
Registered
298 Posts
one thing at at time

I would fix one thing at a time and leave any possible variables out that could give you a problem, such as a new ignition system.

It does sound like a lean condition caused by a small intermediate jet. If you do not have any intake leaks, I would jet up until the popping stops.

How is wide open throttle?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would fix one thing at a time and leave any possible variables out that could give you a problem, such as a new ignition system.

It does sound like a lean condition caused by a small intermediate jet. If you do not have any intake leaks, I would jet up until the popping stops.

How is wide open throttle?
WOT is excellent...scarey fast...lower end is a dog.

·
Registered
298 Posts
jets results

What are the jets results? If you have a spacer block between the carb and intake, a jet change should take about 10-15 minutes tops, 4 screws.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the jets results? If you have a spacer block between the carb and intake, a jet change should take about 10-15 minutes tops, 4 screws.
ordered the jets , will be here today and install tomorrow...ordered a 32 and 33 intermediate, will leave the main alone. Don't know if going up one will make that much difference, thinking about going directly to the 33.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ordered the jets , will be here today and install tomorrow...ordered a 32 and 33 intermediate, will leave the main alone. Don't know if going up one will make that much difference, thinking about going directly to the 33.
Put the .033 intermediate in today and the bike runs great...reset the carb ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts