V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the PCIII USB, Vance & Hines Oval Slip Ons, S/E Air Filter on a 2006 FLHTCI. The power and torque increase was really noticable. Unfortunately the mileage dropped from 44 mpg to 38 mpg. Same riding habits, in fact using less throttle due to the increased power.

Any suggestions on getting the mpg back up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
adlerx said:
Get it dynoed!
If you can't get it dynoed...at least check to see which map is loaded.

I have V&H Longshots/Ness Big Sucker stage 1. When I checked the map that was loaded in the PC III USB...it was for a bone stock '01 Softail...:huh:

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
PC maps tend to run rich. My milage was lousy & the exhaust was sooty.
To resolve this I pulled up the fuel table and reduced the fuel additions
by 15%. Some guys start at 20%. The fuel additions have a + sign. The numbers with - or no sign are left alone.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Milehog said:
by 15%. Some guys start at 20%. The fuel additions have a + sign. The numbers with - or no sign are left alone.
Are you saying that any cell in a PC map with a - sign is ignored by a PC or that you ignore them when you went in and reduced the map?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Milehog said:
15-20% reduction? Pardon my skepticism...but, that makes the map for my set-up LEANER than the bone stock map.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a mileage drop of 44 to 37 on my Road king after installing Hooker Tuned-Flow Mufflers, Big Sucker Air Cleaner, and the PCIIIUSB. I have had the bike dyno-tuned. Since the bikes are set up so darn lean from the factory we're getting real used to great gas mileage but after the bike is actually set up "correctly" we think something is wrong with the mileage. There is nothing wrong with 37/ 38 mpg. That is fairly common, I've actually seen guys getting a lot less mpg. Just my 2 cents.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
TLeath said:
Are you saying that any cell in a PC map with a - sign is ignored by a PC or that you ignore them when you went in and reduced the map?
A cell with a - means the PC is reducing the fuel there. I'm suggesting you don't change that cell.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
DM-SC said:
15-20% reduction? Pardon my skepticism...but, that makes the map for my set-up LEANER than the bone stock map.
I'm saying you reduce the increase by 15-20%. Example, if the cell shows a +10 you reduce that number by 20% yeilding a +8 increase.
By paying attention to how the bike runs, how the spark plugs & exhaust outlet look, ect. You can get a decent tune on a mild build without the expense of a dyno tune,

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Milehog said:
A cell with a - means the PC is reducing the fuel there. I'm suggesting you don't change that cell.
Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping that was what you meant but I just wanted to make sure since I'll be putting a PCIII on an Ultra pretty soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Milehog said:
I'm saying you reduce the increase by 15-20%. Example, if the cell shows a +10 you reduce that number by 20% yeilding a +8 increase.
By paying attention to how the bike runs, how the spark plugs & exhaust outlet look, ect. You can get a decent tune on a mild build without the expense of a dyno tune,
Ok, that makes a lot more sense to me! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts