V-Twin Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got the black Freedom Independence Shorty pipes with chrome tips on my Dyna, and it is LOUD!! It's loud to the point where I'm afraid I'm going to annoy my neighbors when I start it up at 0530 in the AM to go to work! However, I have to say, they are also loud enough that they caused a guy in a big diesel pickup to take a 2nd look to see me next to him and NOT pull over into my lane, so... Not to mention that they really look good!

However, my friend who has a HD exclusive shop told me that these pipes are "untunable", and I should get rid of them as soon as I can. He said that the pulse wave fluctuates hundreds of times a second between rich and lean, which makes mapping it impossible. If I had known that, I probably wouldn't have gotten them.

I like SOME noise, so that others around me on the road KNOW that I'm there, and WON'T pull over into me, but not so much that my neighbors hate me, or that the wife doesn't want to ride with me. There HAS to be some that meet this "happy medium"!

·
In disguise
2,721 Posts
I rod from Port Orange Fla. to the west coast with drag pipes. I wasn't broke, but I thought I was cool.
West coast? You mean Tampa or San Diego? Hey, I lived in FL for 10 years. Folks down there were always confusing me talking about the "west coast" this and that. They meant Tampa/St. Pete, or Sarasota.

Either on--I wouldn't want to be on top of drag pipes more than ten miles or so.

But I'm betting that a lot of people that saw you or heard you go by (I'm guessing this was a *while* ago).....they thought you were cool.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,384 Posts
West coast? You mean Tampa or San Diego? Hey, I lived in FL for 10 years. Folks down there were always confusing me talking about the "west coast" this and that. They meant Tampa/St. Pete, or Sarasota.

Either on--I wouldn't want to be on top of drag pipes more than ten miles or so.

But I'm betting that a lot of people that saw you or heard you go by (I'm guessing this was a *while* ago).....they thought you were cool.
... and scary.

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,384 Posts
In all likelihood. Maybe Therm can scare (see what I did there?) up some old pics of himself "back in the day".
That could be fun.

And you're a wit after my own heart, one of my top 'pics'.

joe

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts

Down by Daytona.

Rode up through Gainsville and picked up I10 a little above there. Then took I10 all the way to Pomona. Pomona California.

It wasn't all built as interstate back then. Some of it was still head to head, and some was just old US 90.

West Texas almost to Cali I had to pack gas, along with my rags and water. Wasn't really prepared for that, so I used a big glass 1 gal soda bottle at first. Then bought a 2 1/2 gallon tin can. Bought one of those cloth sided canteens on the advise of an old local. Just wet the side real good and have cold water next stop. Or what passed for water out there.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,384 Posts
Don't really have many. I was never a camera person. So they were always pictures other people took.

Here's one from the mid 70's

Major?

joe

·
In disguise
2,721 Posts
Down by Daytona.

Rode up through Gainsville and picked up I10 a little above there. Then took I10 all the way to Pomona. Pomona California.

It wasn't all built as interstate back then. Some of it was still head to head, and some was just old US 90.

West Texas almost to Cali I had to pack gas, along with my rags and water. Wasn't really prepared for that, so I used a big glass 1 gal soda bottle at first. Then bought a 2 1/2 gallon tin can. Bought one of those cloth sided canteens on the advise of an old local. Just wet the side real good and have cold water next stop. Or what passed for water out there.

Now REALLY take us down memory lane. What were you riding and whatever happened to it?

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
When, back then? What ever it was, it was painted green.

I had a Suzuki dirt bike at home.

That run to Cali was later, late 70's. I rode a 73 XLCH on that one. I rode that scooter to death, then sold it right before I got married.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Was that Camels no filter?

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
Was that Camels no filter?
Nope -Gittanes no filter. Or mini cigarres. But I quit 9 years ago. For the third time :ntlgh:

81 - 100 of 110 Posts