V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
I live in the boonies and don't worry too much about noise. Most vehicles around here sound like someone stuck a screwdriver through the muffler. I have a Magnaflow, only one. The truck is lowered and no room for two mufflers.

Bike has v+h longshots. It has a roar if not reined in. Out on the road get up to 70+, the pistons are popping so fast on my 88 the 2 pipes blend together. Really quite pleasant.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My reinhardts sound awsome on my 88 also. Im hoping they will sound even better when i finish the s&s 97 inch upgrade. For those that don't believe loud pipes save lives, i have witnessed that they do many times. I've seen cars change lanes into a bike but the guy blipped the throttle, the car driver heard and saw him. Accident avoided. Many times ive seen it. Ive done it. No time to find the horn. If riding a goldwing, id been done for.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
My reinhardts sound awsome on my 88 also. Im hoping they will sound even better when i finish the s&s 97 inch upgrade. For those that don't believe loud pipes save lives, i have witnessed that they do many times. I've seen cars change lanes into a bike but the guy blipped the throttle, the car driver heard and saw him. Accident avoided. Many times ive seen it. Ive done it. No time to find the horn. If riding a goldwing, id been done for.
You can find the horn button on a GW as I had one. I had Jardines which were nice. Once I had 4 straight pipes, but they were a little loud behind the faring. I couldn't hear my XM.

Why is it when I find someone easy to talk to, a person who I would like to ride with lives way off like Kansas.don'tmakesense.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
I'll have to remember that.

I'm just here for the beer.
I'll ride at the rear of the runs at "you know where" this fall with the other old guys.ha. Yesterday I saw 5 riders on 130w to Whiteville. They were spread out. Any car could have passed the bikes one at a time. That wasn't the case as they were cruising 65-80 in the 55. They came to the intersection and they weren't together. Three went one way and 2 split off in different directions.

That is how I like to ride. Spread out. Everyone should know where we going. I write my routes on a post it stick to the windshield bag. Nothing else I carry a paper map so I can find my way back to the bar.... I mean motel.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,384 Posts
I'll have to remember that.

I'm just here for the beer.
LOL That couldn't be a factor, could it?

"After I run guys off the road, they don't wanna ride with me".

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
loud pipes?

well personally i cant stand them now ive owned 114 bikes and changed the pipes on dam near everyone of them. but i cant stand really loud pipes anymore. im in the garage working on a bike or gun listening to some old 70s rock like Ted Nugent or deep purple and some guy three blocks away on his HD is so loud he drowns out the stereo? thats just too much. im a firm believer stock pipes are too quiet but there is no need to be so loud it makes everyone in the neighborhood hate you!
i cant enjoy riding when its too loud. and i will tell you you will pay for it eventually. i have a serious case of tinnitus from working on hot cars boats and bikes and shooting for many years not to mention many loud concerts back in the day. so protect your hearing and think of others around you.. loud pipes dont save lives they make enemies and as motorcyclists we dont need more enemies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
well personally i cant stand them now ive owned 114 bikes and changed the pipes on dam near everyone of them. but i cant stand really loud pipes anymore. im in the garage working on a bike or gun listening to some old 70s rock like Ted Nugent or deep purple and some guy three blocks away on his HD is so loud he drowns out the stereo? thats just too much. im a firm believer stock pipes are too quiet but there is no need to be so loud it makes everyone in the neighborhood hate you!
i cant enjoy riding when its too loud. and i will tell you you will pay for it eventually. i have a serious case of tinnitus from working on hot cars boats and bikes and shooting for many years not to mention many loud concerts back in the day. so protect your hearing and think of others around you.. loud pipes dont save lives they make enemies and as motorcyclists we dont need more enemies.
114 bikes!!! Are we OCD? OCD can be your friend. I've had 101 Jeeps and 30 antique tractors. OCD and proud of it. I see things that most miss. In a car I want to be a passenger as I must have bought 15-20 vehicles and antique trailers from seeing a backyard or open garage. Love the Fall when the leaves are down.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Loud is subjective. There is obnoxious loud pipes which sound annoying, and I have heard some that were loud on some bikes but sounded good. I wouldn't want to listen to a loud pipe on my bike on a 6 hr ride, but some sound real good driving by. Then others like the time I heard a VROD go by with what sounded like no baffles and flames coming out of the pipes. Sounded awful and loud.

Personally I like pipes on the louder side. Had a D&D 2-1 exhaust on my softail that was loud but sounded great. I could never run stock pipes without some mufflers that added some decent sound. Even with a modified baffle. Just doesn't sound right to me. Needs to be loud enough to hear when riding without pissing off my neighbors when pulling away and sound like a harley should.

Why I am considering true duals on my next bike...a road king....currently have sporty 1200 running stock headers and rush slip ons with 2" baffle. its pretty loud but sounds sweet.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Loud is subjective. There is obnoxious loud pipes which sound annoying, and I have heard some that were loud on some bikes but sounded good. I wouldn't want to listen to a loud pipe on my bike on a 6 hr ride, but some sound real good driving by. Then others like the time I heard a VROD go by with what sounded like no baffles and flames coming out of the pipes. Sounded awful and loud.

Personally I like pipes on the louder side. Had a D&D 2-1 exhaust on my softail that was loud but sounded great. I could never run stock pipes without some mufflers that added some decent sound. Even with a modified baffle. Just doesn't sound right to me. Needs to be loud enough to hear when riding without pissing off my neighbors when pulling away and sound like a harley should.

Why I am considering true duals on my next bike...a road king....currently have sporty 1200 running stock headers and rush slip ons with 2" baffle. its pretty loud but sounds sweet.
Agreed! I had Drag Pipes on my FXD when I bought it. It sounded mean, but embarrassing when I got on to it making a lot of noise, but only going a meaningless 45 mph.

Replaced it with at 2 into 1 Vance and Hines, it quieted it down a bit, but when I got on the throttle, it had a lot more grunt and getting down the road on it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have V&H Short Shots on my '03 FatBoy. Man are they obnoxious! Way too loud and because they are short the sound resonates up and not behind you. A friend of mine has offered up a free set of stock pipes he has laying around from a conversion. I can't wait to change them out. I like a rumble but too much is too much.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,384 Posts
I have V&H Short Shots on my '03 FatBoy. Man are they obnoxious! Way too loud and because they are short the sound resonates up and not behind you. A friend of mine has offered up a free set of stock pipes he has laying around from a conversion. I can't wait to change them out. I like a rumble but too much is too much.
LOL The only thing worse than drag pipes is short drag pipes.

joe

·
In disguise
2,721 Posts
I still remember being at a dealer open house some years ago. guy had Short Shots on his Dyna. When he started that thing up.....I remember thinking "OK, THAT'S too loud".

61 - 80 of 110 Posts