V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Blip? Whats that?
Throttle Blipping is the term used to describe the rev-matching technique where the rider momentarily “blips” the throttle to increase engine rpm to better match the revs to the road speed when downshifting. You’ve probably heard riders blip their throttle, but may have thought they were just being obnoxious and annoying as they roll to a stoplight. (From "Riding in the Zone" website)

I know a Harley rider who "blips" the throttle but not while downshifting but after an up-shift. He has a loud two into one pipe set-up so I think he does it just to hear his pipes.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
1.......poser brief tug on the throttle, overdone with some but
even today nothin sounds like a HD twin even tho rice gives it
their best shot. there was a time with the old flats and nucks
it was a good idea to keep oil moving thru the jugs n heads
sitting at a stop light.

2.......small fart out the ass the morning after a mex n beer
dinner.
Kinda like the 2 finger wave. I have gone to a few big rallies not so much now. Everyone riding in gives the salute. People leaving who have been there for a week don't even look at you.

I thought maybe that was what a blip is, but thought I should ask in case I was reading some NH local colloquialism.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Kinda like the 2 finger wave. I have gone to a few big rallies not so much now. Everyone riding in gives the salute. People leaving who have been there for a week don't even look at you.

I thought maybe that was what a blip is, but thought I should ask in case I was reading some NH local colloquialism.

my hands stay on the bars at sturgis, i saw a woman riding
a sporty talking on her cell phone there.

a few "blips" from history thought i'd share with you cap-

.....blip wilson (comedian)

.....blip torn (actor)

.....blip van winkle (fictional 18th century short story character)

.....blip o'neill (47th speaker of the US house of representatives)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have no issue with loud pipes. I don't run unbaffled pipes because of the performance aspect. My bikes exhaust are all not stock and are louder than stock.
The issue it created more from how the rider handles/rides his or hers motorcycle to how its going to sound. I can ride my bike very quite, and I'm very sure all other rides can do the same. But choose not to.

Ken

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Define loud? I don't think mines loud, a slight drone while at any cruising speed but a decent bark when I get on it hard.

I don't ride to be obnoxious but some of the bark I find so musical might be considered obnoxious by some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vibration Resonance and an Audible Frequency Differential.

Can't tell how many times just goosing the throttle a little caught the attention of a lane drifter. One viable answer to loud music and texting that over the years has proven to redirect a distracted drivers senses and awareness is vibration resonance and an audible frequency differential. Loud Pipes; absolutely...:boobies: however there are others...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like most, I believe that we need loud pipes as a "sign" that we are nearby. I, like yourself, have been in situations in which cagers are not paying attention to their own driving. Most states have enacted laws about cellphones in cars just to make it a "little" safer, but I see them on their phones, distracted.
Pipes should be loud enough to be heard at a distance of 400-500 feet but not rattling grandma's windows. No new laws.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
I like my loud pipes. Love to hear the engine growl when I let off the throttle. I am careful around the neighborhood, but most any vehicle around here sounds like there is a hole in the muffler. Time for a beer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't necessarily think 'loud pipes save lives' but I do think 'loud pipes help save lives'. I've seen cagers look in their mirror when I'm 2-3 car lengths away.

In the neighborhood I keep it around 20 in 2nd gear and I don't set off any alarms. I drop it to 1st gear at 20 in the parking garage at the office.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
It should say loud pipes saves my life especially when passing a line of cars. I don't have the experience much sitting with a line of cars. The nearby big town has 9 stoplights and the other has 4 lights.

Just the other day I was at a light with 6 cars and I thought about how much I hate traffic jams.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm fine with loud pipes, music, gunfire and metalworking be it mine or others. I tolerate the noise others make and expect them to tolerate mine.

Fortunately I have cool neighbors. One asked if their target practice bothered me. I told him they really should shoot more and lawful gunfire is the sound of freedom. Bonus is no one sane would ever cross their property to get to mine.

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
I'm fine with loud pipes, music, gunfire and metalworking be it mine or others. I tolerate the noise others make and expect them to tolerate mine.

Fortunately I have cool neighbors. One asked if their target practice bothered me. I told him they really should shoot more and lawful gunfire is the sound of freedom. Bonus is no one sane would ever cross their property to get to mine.
I'd be offended because I didn't get an invite.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,384 Posts
So where's the poll? I'd hate to waste this vote.

joe

·
Registered
234 Posts
I took the Vance & Hines slip-ons off a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that I just bought used, and replaced them with the stockers. It's great. I love it. It runs like it was meant to. Nice and quiet touring. No more exhaust work for me.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts