V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a search and found info going back over a year and thought I would get current opinions. I have a pewter denim bike and have yet to find the best way to clean it including removing bugs. I am always afraid of rubbing it shiny. So what is the best/safest cleaner/way of cleaning these colors??

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
A while back I sent someone a sample of a product I use on all my paint jobs...but unfortunately he never replied back...He had a pewter denim bike too, so I was anxious to hear.

I believe products containing silicones would probably cause a shine, but I would think a spray detailer should be ok. The product I sent was called Captain Richards Best, used to be BOM. It's not 'waxy' like s-100.

Good thread to follow!

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
So I did a search and found info going back over a year and thought I would get current opinions. I have a pewter denim bike and have yet to find the best way to clean it including removing bugs. I am always afraid of rubbing it shiny. So what is the best/safest cleaner/way of cleaning these colors??
I had a Black Denim bike for 3 yrs, I ALWAYS used Windex. When I sold it to a parts guy at the dealer everyone couldn't get over how great it looked even with 13k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I use the blue coral car wash and then turtle wax spray wax. It gives it the protection, but doesnt make it shiney.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Windex

Windex is the recommended cleaner from what I've been told. All of the denim paint I've seen cleaned using the windex method look great after many miles.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used S-100 Total Cycle Cleaner spray foam after e-mailing the company to find out if it was safe to use.

How does the Windex method work? Are there different types of Windex?

Fred

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Be careful with the S-100...too me it leaves an almost waxy residue and I believe if you use a wax and rub hard enough that will leave a shine mark...

I would stick to spray detailers. There are different kinds of windex...but just the way they smell :)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Meguiers final inspection works good also. napa auto parts carries it. It is clear and leaves no residue. I haven't tried Windex yet. I will have to try it. My 03 E-glide is Pewter Denim.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The S-100 TCC foam is put on and then washed off without any rubbing. A hard spray directly from a hose is what they recommend. No rubbing, no shiny spots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Simple Green, spray it on, let sit for a few minutes, spray it off with the hose. Works good for bug splatter.

I've never tried the Windex on denim paint, I do recommend Windex on the chrome though, it leaves a nice streak free shine and no chemical build up.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I use windex on a regular basis to get the bugs off, then go over it with Harley Gloss.........both work great.

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just purchased my black denim in Sept. 09 and so far for me windex followed by H-D gloss keeps her looking great. For the big bug splatter I let a warm rag set for a couple minutes followed by above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
water

just wash the bike, everything is water soluible, its called deniem for a reason, if you want shiny, paint it, if you want the correct fade, leave:cya:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since it seems to be a popular choice among fellow riders here, I'm gonna start using Windex as soon as my HD Black Denim cleaner runs out. I'm sure it's MUCH cheaper!

Quick question: That Black Denim cleaner has a familiar smell, but I can't place it. As an aircraft mechanic, I've used hundreds of different types of cleaners, so this one gets lost in the mix. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
just wash the bike, everything is water soluible, its called deniem for a reason, if you want shiny, paint it, if you want the correct fade, leave:cya:
Actually it's called denim as a marketing scheme...you take a little wax to that and a bit of elbow grease and that matte clear is going to get glossy! Similarly if your jeans rub against the tank sides from riding that will also cause shiny spots. Not sure about your jeans but mine don't get shiny from wear...so really the denim finish is the exact opposite of what they are trying to promote...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Old post but very useful;

I bought a spray bottle of glass cleaner with added vinagar from Aldi today.
Cost 49p last of the big spenders.

Can’t get windex will this do

1 - 20 of 20 Posts