V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to polish my fatboy rims, the entire rim. Anyone do this? The outter part would be easy but the inner I'm guessing would be a step by step sanding process.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
polishing

i'd send them to a competent polisher, or do a exchange deal with a chrome plating shop. You'd go nuts trying to make that sand cast smooth. I myself wouldn't attempt learning the art of polishing on your Fat Boy's wheels. Money well spent... (and yeah, i USED to polish a lot of parts...until you compare the pro polish job to the homebrew job...) just my .02¢.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
We used to polish them on a lathe. Turn them down and then polish them. Every one I have seen done by hand is clearly wavey and doesn't come close in looks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought about the uneven on the part that's rough and decided to just to the outer part until I buy the chrome disc from harley. I think it will be real easy and I'm going to do the brake rotors too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
SuperglideJim said:
what about powdercoating?
Now that's an interesting idea......can't say I've ever seen one done. Might be on to something but sure would be "flashy" depending on what color was choosen.

r/ George

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
I have a set of FB wheels in to the Powder Coaters at present. Going with a 'metallica" finish (near chrome) and a clear coat.....I have heard too many stories about how hard they are to keep clean. Chrome ain't in my budget-

My Skunk Luxe has Profile Laced wheels, which I love, but am after a chunkier look. Also have a take off Vivid Black paint set. Here are some links with artists rendition of what it might look like, couresy of huladog in hawaii-

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/honi/images/bwfatdlx.jpg
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/honi/images/Fat_Deluxe.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
They have to be machined before they can be polished. Even if you choose to powdercoat, you should machine them first. Mine are polished and need a bit of upkeep to keep them shiney. I use a polishing wheel on an electric drill about every 2 or 3 months. takes about 30 minutes to do both wheels.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yes they can be done in your home garage, and yes they will look professional if you take your time.

I did mine and you can't tell where the chrome ends and aluminum begins when you look head on.

It is a dirty job, but like anything else if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

I hooked up a powered jig to spin my rim, then spin-sanded the rough cast going through 3 grits of paper. Buffed out using two types of buffing cakes. Oh yeah, this was two years ago and they are easy to keep clean, no matter what you hear about polished aluminum, maintenance is minimal if you know what products to use and how to use them.

Look at the last picture in this link:
http://www.angelfire.com/band2/chops101/axleadjust.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I polished the outer machined part on the front and rear they both turned out very nice. The first rim (one side) took about an hour then I fugured out a system and trial and error on the polishing disc. I had the best results with the orange polishing pads from Sears, they were firmer. After I started using the firmer pads and the white number 5 polish from Lowes it cut the job down to 30 minutes a side. I put alot of miles on the ole 4" handheld grinder. Also, I took off the guard and put the 6 inch pads on and I had more room and did not have to take the disc brake plate off. Luckily my friend got me a nice goodyear motorcycle jack for xmas and I was able to remove the wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts