V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over on the delphi board its being brought up. just wondering if any of you have stripped the black paint off and polished your own wheels? i have an extra set i just bought off ebay and planned on chroming and then this came up, any thoughts/advice? thanks

·
Still in one piece
269 Posts
That's what my wheels are and I've had no problem with them. I think the total cost from the chromer was in the neighborhood of $500 for both wheels. Plan on replacing the wheel bearings. Mine didn't last long. I had to replace both front and rear within a year.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i didn't do my whole wheel, just the lip....It comes from the factory kind of a satin color. I polished the lip and it gave me the exact effect i was looking for....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Did you polish it yourself (DIY) or have it done? If you DIY, what was your process and materials.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i would love to know the process as well and would love a pic or two if possible.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
JohnyRRR said:
i have an extra set i just bought off ebay and planned on chroming and then this came up, any thoughts/advice? thanks
So your the one who snaked me outta my wheels!!:gun:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
BILLET METAL POLISH

Mothers® Billet Metal Polish takes our world famous metal polish technology to a whole new level. State of the art cleaners and cutting edge formulation give your billet, forged and finely cast aluminum, brass and other polishable metals the absolute finest finish available — guaranteed. If you’ve spent big bucks on quality metal accessories, step up to a polish worthy of your investment.

#05106, 4 oz.

i used a can of this and a lot of elbow grease....I had my wheels off as i was changing the tires. If you apply heavily with a clean shop rag and rub the sh*t out of it. Wipe off with a different cotton towel. It may take you a little while. I had both my wheels and tires and rotors off as i was changing them all, and it took me about 1 1/2 hours to do it...it look really good, almost professionally done....I will try to post close ups later today or tomorow....Its doesn't work if your wheels have pitted though, only wheels in good shape....

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
The stock wheels have a very fine "groove" in the lip from machining. Did this process give you a "mirror finish" or just shined up the aluminum? Seems like I've used everything under the sun and all I can get is a clean finish, nothing shiny. Mine are not pitted either, I'm a clean nazi.

·
16 FLTRUSE
20 Posts
Polishing wheel

I did the outer rims the same way as TXCHOP with the Mother's products, looks almost like a chrome finish with alot of elbow grease.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
you still can see the fine lines, but it does give a real shiny look.....I have gotten some compliments on mine. For the 10 bucks the polish cost me, I figured it was no big deal.
P.s. Geezer i am a cleaning nazi and i admit it.....

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
LV76 said:
I did the outer rims the same way as TXCHOP with the Mother's products, looks almost like a chrome finish with alot of elbow grease.
Thanks. Looks like my next project for a "snow day". Winter ain't over here yet, so I just may get a chance soon.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
adlerx, the wheels where a buy it now price, so sorry i just paid the asking price, there was no outbidding anyone.

thanks for everybodys input on this, im starting to think this is really a doable project.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I made a big mistake using fine wire wheel to remove brake dust build up. Even mothers would not even out the color. There is a clear coat on the rims. If you break through it, you need to remove it around the entire rim to get an even look.
OK, use mothers and elbow grease. Follow up with Boeing C9 (I think is the name). It is aircraft skin protectant and works like a charm. I have not had any brake dust pitting since using it. I just use soap and water during a wash job and the silver lower part of the rim comes out looking like chrome. One club member with a new ultra loaded with tons of chrome said, "I didn't know you could get chrome rim options". I told him about mothers and C9 and next time I saw him, his rims looked better than mine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I made a big mistake using fine wire wheel to remove brake dust build up. Even mothers would not even out the color. There is a clear coat on the rims. If you break through it, you need to remove it around the entire rim to get an even look.
OK, use mothers and elbow grease. Follow up with Boeing C9 (I think is the name). It is aircraft skin protectant and works like a charm. I have not had any brake dust pitting since using it. I just use soap and water during a wash job and the silver lower part of the rim comes out looking like chrome. One club member with a new ultra loaded with tons of chrome said, "I didn't know you could get chrome rim options". I told him about mothers and C9 and next time I saw him, his rims looked better than mine.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
hey guys tried to take pics but they came out crappy.......will try with digi cam soon

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine are old and were pitted and stained badly.

I sanded them down with 60, 120, 200, 400, 600 grit.
Then hit them with Flitz metal polish on a drill with a buffer wheel and finished up with a cloth.

I went for a brushed aluminum look on all the aluminum due to the fact that all the aluminum on the engine, primary, tranny and wheels on this old police bike were ravaged by acid rain, road grime and corrosion.

If I were to go for chrome like finish, I would have had to sand all the way up to 2000 grit to get that finish.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
JohnyRRR said:
adlerx, the wheels where a buy it now price, so sorry i just paid the asking price, there was no outbidding anyone.

thanks for everybodys input on this, im starting to think this is really a doable project.
Rub it in!!! I saw em on there, had em in the sites of my gun. Was gonna pay the BIN for em...

Just didn'tget around to it in time....

I'll get you next time.....:boxin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts