V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
---
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw somewhere that the tires used on Police bikes have a stiffer sidewall than normal in order to stay on the rim if a blowout occurs.

If true, where can someone get a set of them?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
They are not available to the General Public. They have a lower load rating and are only rated for the driver with no passenger. I much perfer the ride and handling of dunlop 402's vs the run flats. with run flats you need to check tire pressure continually because the side wall is stiff enough that with 20 pounds of pressure they look fine. They are also a pain in the ass to change.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
The police bikes come with standard tires and rims. However the RUNFLAT tires are available as an option. The rims are the same as civilian models. The runflat tires allow you to get a flat and run at 50 MPH without the bead seperating from the rim. They are available thru the "gray" market. You can not walk into your dealer and order them up. They have to go thru a police municipality. Keeping cop sh1t out of the hands of the civees you see. But there are always "people who know people" if you know what I mean! (wink-wink-nudge-nudge) Cost is about the same, about $149.00 per.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
The police bikes come with standard tires and rims. However the RUNFLAT tires are available as an option.
The H-D website specs say that the police bikes do come with the police tires. I've always heard that to be the case. The rear tire on a EG Standard is rated at 77H.

PT = Police Tire

Specs from the site:

TIRE SIZE

FRONT (D402F PT) MT90B16 72H

REAR (D402 PT) MT90B16 72H

T113

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Most of the 5th generation Corvettes (1997-2004) came with run-flat tires. The side wall is very stiff and the quality of the ride suffers somewhat.

I would expect the "cop tires" on a police bike would not ride as well as the stock tires. The police bikes have to operate in a a much more demanding environment than the typical HD.

If you absolutely cannot afford to have a flat, look into set-ups the Paris-Dakar riders use - Tech Tubes, Bib Mousse foam inserts, or tire balls.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/tireballs/tireballs.htm

G

·
The Dunlop police tires ARE NOT "run-flat" tires as the term is usually defined. A run-flat (automotive) tire has a design that allows the vehicle to be safely driven with zero air pressure; albeit at a reduced speed. The Dunlop tire that (as Trooper pointed out) comes standard on the H-D Police motors is a BEAD-RETENTION design. The point being that if there is a loss of air pressure, even a catastrophic loss (i.e. "blowout") the tire's beads will remain in place on the rim. However, they are not safe for operation with low or no air pressure, and consequently it is incorrect to refer to them as "run flat" tires. The bead retention is not so much a function of a stiffer sidewall, as it is a function of a completely different bead design. The point of keeping the bead in place is that then, during a blow-out, the tire will not dismount, and consequently wrap up between the wheel and the fender or forks. You can imagine how inconvenient that would be on a front wheel at 80 MPH. As far as ride goes, I've never noticed a difference between the police and civilian Dunlops, and they have the same tread pattern. Also there is no restriction on selling these tires. Your H-D dealer can get them. They would be a pricey way to go for a particularly ugly blackwall tire, and they can only be mounted on the cast rim (because of the odd bead design).

Harris

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I know that the tires are not designated as "run flat tires." However, when I went thru the MoCo's Motor School, one of my instructors was a retired CHP. He told me that during tire testing, they took the valve stems out of the tires and ran them flat around a track for about an hour at highway speeds.

G

·
xxx,

That is correct. In fact CHP's testing process requires a tire be designed to, and capable of a complete loss of pressure, with the motor still being able to be brought to a controlled stop, then accelerated back up to 50 MPH, then back to a stop, with the tire remaining on the rim. However, as you point out, this doesn't equate to "run-flat" as it is used in the automotive world. In other words, the fact that you can ride the machine that way, doesn't mean it's sae to do so. The handling is far too compromised for it to be considered safe. In automotie applications, if one obeys the speed and distance restrictions, the tires will meet all safety requirements even with zero pressure. That's the difference.

Harris

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Harris said:
Also there is no restriction on selling these tires. Your H-D dealer can get them.

Harris
Perhaps here in The Peoples Republic of New Jersey there is a restriction. The locals will only sell to police departments. AND only if they have a police bike on their force! But why bother? Like Harris says, it's an UGLY tire!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Last weekend I saw an FLHPI with laced wheels and what I suspected to be the tires in question. The tire didn't look all that ugly in fact it looked similar to a civilian Dunlap. The bead area stuck out away from the side of the rim and was noticeably different up close. Standing back a few feet you wouldn't notice any difference. I don't know what it would take to get these tires, but think that it would be a good upgrade. I've heard stories about riders that had a long recovery after a tire ended up between the wheel and frame/fork.:coffee:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
And then refrence my last post up top, my local told me yesterday if I wanted them he'd give them to me on a cash deal with no invoice printed. Thats because he has a pair in stock. So, if you KNOW someone, you can get them. The dealers are not SUPPOSED to sell them to the general public.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts