V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally finished fabricating my Police Solo Seat Backrest. As you can see from the picture, it's a combination of parts I machined myself, and purchased HD parts. I've smudged / obscured some details on the picture, as I may try to market this thing, and I really don't anybody to blatantly copy my ideas.
There's still a few issues, such as the attaching hardware wanting to hit the seat pan. I have a custom seatpan, I don't think I would have these problems on the stock seatpan. But, I intend to resolve that anyways on the next prototype - which I won't get made for a couple months, I'm sure.
The backrest assembly has about one inch of fore and aft adjustment. I've got about 350 miles on this backrest setup already, I really like it. I find that the adjustment comes in handy to find just the right spot.
I'm trying to gauge interest in this thing. The purchased parts run about $180MSRP, and I'm thinkin' about $120 for the machined parts less hardware (bolts, washers, etc).
Comments, complaints and flames are sought out and welcomed.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Very Cool Device

I don't have that seat so no direct interest here. I have spent a day on a cop seat and I think they are the most comfortable seat ever made. The back rest can only make it better.

It has always surprised me that not very many people leave the stock cop seat on. The pool of buyers may be small. Regardless, I hope you sell a ton of them.
:thumbsup:
Jerry

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I'm liking the idea, my only concern is the thickness of the brackets .. it doesn't look like you could go two up very comfortably .. if not how tough is it to take the backrest off?

Either way .. it looks like a winner for singles!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jerry34208 said:
....Regardless, I hope you sell a ton of them.
Jerry
Thanx for the kind words, Jerry. I did this to solve a problem for me, not to get rich quick. It's been the bossman @ work, and my friends who are encouraging me to not let a possible good idea go un-rewarded.

Brewmaster said:
I'm liking the idea, my only concern is the thickness of the brackets .. it doesn't look like you could go two up very comfortably .. if not how tough is it to take the backrest off?
The assembly comes off with (4) bolts, not too bad to remove. The next revision of this will go with a wider sissy bar, which spreads the brackets farther apart. That will allow the Mustang Pillion Pad to fit on, keep the hardware from bangin' the seat pan, and allow the use of some decent rubber (baby buggy) bumpers for when the seat bottoms out. Regardless, I don't know many people my age who can fit on a passenger seat with a driver backrest installed, no matter what seat is on your scoot. :whatever:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
I don't know many people my age who can fit on a passenger seat with a driver backrest installed, no matter what seat is on your scoot.[/FONT] :whatever:
I know what you're saying, that's why I was asking about removing it .... besides, find the right passenger and yo've got all the backrest you need.

:boobies:

·
Registered
977 Posts
A few years back, the Motor Officers with the Lubbock, Tx P.D. were using the standard H-D backrest with their police solo seats on Road Kings.

Same backrest as everyone buys for their baggers, only difference was that the backrest itself did not have to go down through a slot (like on a touring seat) to mount, the whole mounting assembly on the back fender was out in the open.

That H-D backrest also folds forward.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm interested.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
DaveT said:
A few years back, the Motor Officers with the Lubbock, Tx P.D. were using the standard H-D backrest with their police solo seats on Road Kings.

Same backrest as everyone buys for their baggers, only difference was that the backrest itself did not have to go down through a slot (like on a touring seat) to mount, the whole mounting assembly on the back fender was out in the open.

That H-D backrest also folds forward.
That backrest is not considered safe unless a full seat pan covers it. It was not even to be used with a solo and a pillion. the other seat backs, adustable sissy bars will work, except:
1. the police seat is to far forward
2. the backrest doesn't move with the seat

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2007FLHP said:
I'm interested.
Welcome back from V-Twin Forum Jail, 2007FLHP!! I hope the bail bondsman didn't charge you too much! ^rolleyez^. Seems like they need more room in that jail anyways, from what I been reading around here lately.
Be patient, and let me get then next revision done. I'm done riding for the season soon, once they start throwing salt down on the roads cuz of the ice and snow. The salt just tears up the cheezy hardware and crappy frame paint on these bikes. If you are in more of a rush to try one of these, I can part with the one I have on the bike now after I put her away. It may not bang on the stock seat pan. I'll let you know.

route66paul
....2. the backrest doesn't move with the seat
Yes, route66paul, every backrest I've seen that will work with the Police Solo Seat mounts on the frame. So, it eventually rubs a hole in your back, as the seat moves up and down. My backrest moves with the seat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
Welcome back from V-Twin Forum Jail, 2007FLHP!! I hope the bail bondsman didn't charge you too much! ^rolleyez^. Seems like they need more room in that jail anyways, from what I been reading around here lately.
Be patient, and let me get then next revision done. I'm done riding for the season soon, once they start throwing salt down on the roads cuz of the ice and snow. The salt just tears up the cheezy hardware and crappy frame paint on these bikes. If you are in more of a rush to try one of these, I can part with the one I have on the bike now after I put her away. It may not bang on the stock seat pan. I'll let you know.

Yes, route66paul, every backrest I've seen that will work with the Police Solo Seat mounts on the frame. So, it eventually rubs a hole in your back, as the seat moves up and down. My backrest moves with the seat.
Time served was brutal but I made it through:harhar: Keep the R&D going and let me know when you have a finished product to market.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I like it. I fit a 1925 style 'tractor' police solo on my RK with springs. I had a custom seat bracket made up and I left a few inches on the back end of it to fit a backrest, which I have been working on. I'm trying to use the HD backrest because it folds forward. It's going to take some work but it will be nice for long trips.

·
Registered
977 Posts
route66paul said:
That backrest is not considered safe unless a full seat pan covers it. It was not even to be used with a solo and a pillion. the other seat backs, adustable sissy bars will work, except:
1. the police seat is to far forward
2. the backrest doesn't move with the seat
My apologies for posting.

Certainly did not want to step on anyone's toes and had no idea what was "considered safe unless a full seat pan covers it."

Just passing on information about something I had seen regarding the topic of backrests on Police Road Kings. When I observed the H-D backrests on the Lubbock P.D. RK's, it surprised me, I guess that's why it stuck in my memory.

Back in the old days when I was a Motor Officer, we rode the old Electra Glide Police models and since most of us were in our mid 20's, we didn't give a lot of thought to backrests.

Since I am now retired and have not been active LEO for many years, I'll stay out of this forum and keep my thoughts to myself in the future.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
DaveT said:

Certainly did not want to step on anyone's toes and had no idea what was "considered safe unless a full seat pan covers it."

Just passing on information about something I had seen regarding the topic of backrests on Police Road Kings. When I observed the H-D backrests on the Lubbock P.D. RK's, it surprised me, I guess that's why it stuck in my memory.

Back in the old days when I was a Motor Officer, we rode the old Electra Glide Police models and since most of us were in our mid 20's, we didn't give a lot of thought to backrests.

Since I am now retired and have not been active LEO for many years, I'll stay out of this forum and keep my thoughts to myself in the future.
Hey Dave, You were not out of line. All points of view are important and appreciated, speaking at least for myself. Especially when they are drawn from experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Better watch your mouth or you will end up serving time in the VTF jail...ask me how I know:hmmm:

DaveT said:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
DaveT said:

:nono:

^rolleyez^

{salute(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaveT said:
My apologies for posting.......
Foly Huck, DaveT. Don't apologize, I'd rather see you continue posting in here.
For what it's worth, I betcha there are alotta lurkers in here who have been wondering if the stock HD driver backrest will work. You answered their question.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
Foly Huck, DaveT. Don't apologize, I'd rather see you continue posting in here.
For what it's worth, I betcha there are alotta lurkers in here who have been wondering if the stock HD driver backrest will work. You answered their question.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL
I agree, but I'm guessing the apology wasn't his idea ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks very good - "way cool dude". I'm getting ready to put a air ride seat back on. When I picked it up from the dealer I had my (former) FLHR's seat pu on instead of the cheap seat the dealer put on.

I picked up the seat from a guy on http://flhpi.com/. FYI - if you post it there you'll get a bunch of interest.

Please email me at wbcattell at gmail dot com. I'd like to get more info on getting one from you.

Thanks,

Bill

1 - 20 of 36 Posts