V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 FLHPI Im trying to "civilianize". I want to remove the stock air ride seat and put on a Sundowner 2up-Seat. Does anyone know what special brackets I may need or anything I dont forsee as an install problem?

Thanks,

Trax~{salute(

·
1,336 Posts
RoadKingTrax said:
I have a 2005 FLHPI Im trying to "civilianize". I want to remove the stock air ride seat and put on a Sundowner 2up-Seat. Does anyone know what special brackets I may need or anything I dont forsee as an install problem?

Thanks,

Trax~{salute(
I don't know about the brackets for the Sundowner. I also have a police bike. If you wanted to keep the comfrotable police seat, Mustang makes an nice pillion passenger seat. It is mades from the same material as the police seat. Just another option if you looking for a seat for a passenger. I also installed a detachable backrest on mine. I am having a chrome luggage rack made to replace the radio plate on mine.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine's a little older, but it's a police model. I removed the seat, the airshock and all associated brackets for the shock.

If you look at your rear fender there should be 2 holes with nuts welded underneath the fender in the general area of the front seat on the rear fender. This is what you will use to mount the seat. Also, the for the front of the seat there will be a bracket on the frame for the seat to slip on and hold tight.

That's all i needed to run a standard 2 up seat on the bike. When I went to a Solo with a matching pillion, I went to J&P and got a seat bolt/nut setup for 14 bucks. Drilled a Hole in the rear fender, Installed the bolt and Nut and then could mount the pillion on as well.

For your Bike, everything you need you should be able to order right from the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I wouldnt think HD would make a different rear fender for police bikes and consumer. Thats funny that you had to drill yours out, guess they werent too concerned about the afterlife of the bikes. I have yet to take out the lower part of the mounted seat, and didnt know if the welded clip was in the frame. Thanks again....

Trax~

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently changed out the air ride seat on my '03 flhtp, it's a simple procedure. The only part you need to buy(other than the seat) is a Fender/seat nut kit, P.N.59768-97 for the rear seat bolt. It installs from the bottom of the fender in the hole where you should have a black plug with the bar and shield logo. I used a stiff wire with a kink in it to thread it up through the fender hole.
You want to remember to note the position of the front saddle bag mounts as you must remove them to reach the torx fasteners on the fender struts for tour pack removal. You will need a new license plate bracket if not using the tour pack rack. For seat bladder removal the battery has to come out to reach the mounting nuts under the frame. I bought a new take off Road King 2 piece seat on E-bay for $100 bucks and it mounts on the studs that held the rear of the seat pan. I hope this helps.........WUZ FUZ

·
1,336 Posts
RoadKingTrax said:
Thanks for the replies, I wouldnt think HD would make a different rear fender for police bikes and consumer. Thats funny that you had to drill yours out, guess they werent too concerned about the afterlife of the bikes. I have yet to take out the lower part of the mounted seat, and didnt know if the welded clip was in the frame. Thanks again....

Trax~
Your bike will have the hole in the fender. Plugged with a black plug. Where WuzFuz used a wire. I used a extra long wire tire. Let the nut slide down the wire tie, then feed the wire tie up through hole in the fender. Turn the nut in place, then stip off the wire tie and let it drop. You will thank us for the info on getting the nut in place. The first one I did with my hand and long needle nose pliers. It is very hard to get around the rear tire to get the nut in place. I had to have my wife help since her arm are smaller. When she pulled her arm out black form dirt under the fender, she was not happy.:clap:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the hardware info. Im actually aware of this trick with the wire. Thats how you bring hardware around in the wing or an airplane where access is all enclosed behind ribs and sheetmetal. Gotta love the tribal knowledge.

Trax~

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
FWIW, that Sundowner is gonna push you up on the tank and keep you from straightening your arms out w/ the stock handlebars. Unless you are vertically challenged you're gonna feel crampd w/ that seat. Then again, I'm 6-4.:chopper:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, at this point I was thinking of the Mustang Solo, with Passenger pad. I like the look of the one up option. Just dont want to deal with the air tank on the seat and everything. Will the bars be that mismatched with a different seat? Im 6'1" so I guess Im a little taller then avg.

Trax

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Get the seat you like. I went through 5 seats before I realized it was cheaper to change out bars. I spent like $1400 on seats and $170 on bars!! Just my opinion though!:xhere:

·
Registered
428 Posts
My buddies and I have swapped the Police air seat out for other seats. Fairly easy (the longest part of the job was the fender nut). I have a Mustang solo with a pillion. Luv it. With the Cop Heritage bars, it all lines up perfectly for me. Great ride...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased an '05 FLHPI and I'm trying to swap the police solo seat for a Sundowner solo seat. Can you tell me if I need to order a special bracket? The directions say to use the "stock bracket", but I don't have a bracket. The seat just rides on top of the bladder. I don't understand how the back of the seat is meant to be mounted to the bike. Keep in mind, I'm tryng to install a solo seat, not a 2 person seat.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The rear of standard seats have a bracket that is screwed down to the fender and the rear of the seat. I was talking to a guy who went from two up seat to a solo who drilled holes in the fender for the solo seat. He still had the original rear treads to allow swapping between the two seats.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think they may be refering to the 2 bolts that hold down the plastic panel under the air ride seat. I think this part needs to be removed to install a non cop seat. The fwd mount is welded to the frame so you can slip the seat in. I know that this applies to the 2 up seat when using the single screw on the fender, makes sense the 2 bolts fwd of that would be for the solo.

Trax.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
makes sense the 2 bolts fwd of that would be for the solo.
That is true and there is a bracket w/ two bolts welded on it that fit through those two holes, from underneath the fender, that the H-D solo and many other manufacturers mount their solo seat brackets too. It is also used to hold the frame/baterry cover on a cop bike.:huh: :xhere:

·
Registered
4 Posts
RoadKingTrax,

You are right, you have to take off the 2 nuts holding down the plastic cover, that is no problem. After doing that, you can take off the air bladder that the original police seat sits on. Then you can unbolt the original seat also. Now you have nothing left. You can now slide the front of the sundowner into the front brack, just like any other seat. However, here is where the problem lies, I have no bracket to secure the back of the seat to the fender. The seat did not come with one. The parts list did not list one either. The instructions are pretty weak. They said "use the existing bracket". But, because it is a police model, and not a regular road king, I don't have a bracket.

I just got back from visiting 2 harley dealers. The first dealer does not deal with police bikes, so even after looking at the bike, they could not figure it out. The second dealer understood the problem, but could not find a part number in any of there catalogs. We even opened up a new road king solo seat which they had in stock. It did not come with a bracket either, just 2 screws and 2 nuts. The parts guy there said he would call harley on Monday and let me know what they say.

I'll let you guys know what I find out this week.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
RoadKingCurley,

Any ideas on what the part number is for the bracket, or where I might be able to find the number or hopfully the part? I've been searching the net and harley catalog and came up empty.

Thanks

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
RKP05 said:
RoadKingCurley,

Any ideas on what the part number is for the bracket, or where I might be able to find the number or hopfully the part? I've been searching the net and harley catalog and came up empty.

Thanks
Brackets 51652-97 you need 2
Seat nut kit 59768-97 you need 2
Screw 3574 you need 4
Screw 2952A you need 2

or if you have the two bolt bracket you just need
seat mounting bolt 3638 you need 2

If you don't have the 2 bolt bracket I might have one kicking around the shop.
What kind of solo seat are you getting? TTYL - Kurt:xhere:

·
Registered
4 Posts
RoadKingCurley,

Thanks for the great info !! Are all of the parts you listed harley part numbers? Also to answer your question about my seat. I'm trying to put on a harley sundowner solo seat (no pillion) just a solo seat (page 391) in the hd catalog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts