V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gulf Coast Police Motorcycle Skills Championship was held today in Baton Rouge. As usual, the riding was superb. It is a pleasure watching those guys toss those hogs around the course.

The various styles are interesting. Some guys just "putter" along taking the course in stride, and making it look easy (yea, right). At the other end are the extremely aggressive riders who thrash those bikes around under strong power, and they seem to bully their way through the course. Generally the guys who show some aggression, but don't try to straighten out the course come out on top.

Occasionally a bike will go down, and it's cool watching how the guy will just jump off, grab the bars and bike with his butt to the seat, and just push it back upright. Then they're off again.

The worst tumble I saw was when a rider was coming out of the last circle, and he gunned it for that last little straight exit. Somehow the bike went out from under him, laying on it's right side and leaving the rider on the ground. Then the bike (still moving) righted itself and immediately flipped over on it's left side. The cop had a little road rash on his elbow, but was otherwise fine. He righted the motor, and rode right off.

It was a great day...excellent weather and excellent riding. :thumbsup:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
These skills that motorcops learn, making those tight, slow-speed turns on those huge bikes, impress me a lot. I've practiced some of the techniques they demo in the Ride Like a Pro series, and I've gotten better. But my conclusion is — I'm no pro.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is indeed amazing to watch those guys maneuver HD Cop bikes around. I've seen video of these competitions, and I'm impressed as hell. It don't seem to matter if the rider is tall, short, thin or fat, they all do well at it.

·
2002 FLSTCI
129 Posts
Motor Police Skills

These guys are amazing. I took the advanced rider course a couple of years ago, and it was taught by one of the local police motorcycle trainers. Great instruction and very cool watching him demonstrate each of the skills first.

We also have an annual fund raising ride sponsored by local law enforcement called Run With The Pigs. Two years ago I was near the front of the pack, and had a great time watching a group of 4 of them ride side-by-side in a lane up and down very twisty mountain roads. Looked like they were standing still.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I used to be a motor officer. I can honestly say that the training to be a motorcycle cop was pretty demanding. To not damage the bike, all the bags, windshield, etc. are removed. We then took heavy duty water hose, like city parks departments use, split it down the center, then duct taped the hose to the roll bars.

The first maneuver you learn, which takes about 16 hours, is to "drag boards". In other words, you go in tight circles and lean over until your foot boards drag on the pavement. Once you have this maneuver down you move on to learning maneuvers such as making a U-turn in the equivalent space of one lane (approximately 12 feet).

The final exam consists of being able to complete the obstacle course within 10% of the time it takes the instructor to complete the course. By the end of training you really know how to ride a bike.

Slim​

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Slim Chance said:
I used to be a motor officer. I can honestly say that the training to be a motorcycle cop was pretty demanding. To not damage the bike, all the bags, windshield, etc. are removed. We then took heavy duty water hose, like city parks departments use, split it down the center, then duct taped the hose to the roll bars.

The first maneuver you learn, which takes about 16 hours, is to "drag boards". In other words, you go in tight circles and lean over until your foot boards drag on the pavement. Once you have this maneuver down you move on to learning maneuvers such as making a U-turn in the equivalent space of one lane (approximately 12 feet).

The final exam consists of being able to complete the obstacle course within 10% of the time it takes the instructor to complete the course. By the end of training you really know how to ride a bike.

Slim​
Good Information! I (now) plan on taping the hose (and perhaps a hard surface over the hose) onto my guards, and practice practice practice this spring.

·
112 Posts
You can read about it in 'The Mounted Officer'. Refer to the '2008 H-D Police & North-western University Instructor/Operator Training Schedule'

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Police_Motorcycles/mounted_officer.jsp?HDCWPSession=1sTgHwfKsMccQsfN2vLJw7Mv21HhvkkZ1JrP1Qm0lzDzfN1vPSGw!558331982!1210665130&locale=en_US

1 - 11 of 11 Posts